Tuesday, February 22, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day Fourteen

Day 14 - A song no one would expect you to love
"Sober" by Tool

I enjoy metal, but usually the garden variety, popular, big hit kinds of metal. I'm a huge Metallica fan. I love Megadeth. Iron Maiden. That kind of stuff.

Tool is rather dark and scary, not as dark and scary as Norwegian Church Burnin' Death Metal, the kind of stuff my 14 year old son likes listening to. But for me, and the Shiny Happy People good kind happy love is all around kind of music that I like to listen to, this is rather unexpected... I think.

One of the reasons I like the song is the incredible video. It is just crazy, so intricate, beautiful and sick all at the same time. I like Maynard's voice, and I just think it is a great piece of art all told.

I do love Maynard's side project called A Perfect Circle, and one of my very very favorite songs from that group/endeavor is "3 Libras." Which I just simply will always love. Watch the video. Tell me if you like it too. Maynard's pretty side... heh.

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked Tool and I gave up metal well back in the 90's.
    There is another band I've loved that has a Tool feel and satisfies my love of prog-rock.
    The Mars Volta. Geoff should love the drums.

    Try my favorite L'via L'viaquez - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ayKK8E7gc

    or The Widow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z16-LoZRFVo&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the mars volta because i love their prog-rock stylin's. also like coheed & cambria too.

    ReplyDelete