Saturday, February 19, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day Eleven

day 11 - A song from your favorite band
"One Man Wrecking Machine" by Guster

Day one I went with my other favorite band, picking my favorite song. Seeing as BNL has already gotten representation on this list, I had to go with Guster, and I picked this song specifically because of the lyrics. And the video.

"One Man Wrecking Machine" looks at the idea of going back in time and tearing things apart and putting them back together in your high school years. I have for many years wished I had a time machine so I could go back and fix things, damn the Butterfly Effect. Damn it to hell.

I wish I'd gotten my drivers license and a car.I wish I'd told a few choice people to fuck themselves. I wish I'd realized that obsessing over certain things and people who were not going to pan out for me or be there for me was a bad thing, and that I'd focused on the people who really did like and love me, and spend more time with them before it was too late. I wish I'd left my bedroom more often, gone out and had some fun. I wish I had told that certain special kid that I liked him in 1983, before he left to go home. Maybe he would have wanted to go to the prom with me. Not that my prom night was bad, I had a great time with Rob getting drunk in Donna's hot tub in the pouring rain. That is a memory that I shouldn't want to trade. But there are so many things I wish I'd done differently. Just a little.

I am happy with my life, my family, where I am. I recognize that going back in time and changing things wouldn't work. And at the end of this song, the narrator realizes just that thing. There is no point in living in our adolescent dreams inspired by true events and movie screens.

Still. Hmm.

Please go watch the video. It is expertly made, and is truly a sweet little song. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment