Monday, February 21, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day Thirteen

Day 13 - A song that is a guilty pleasure
"Yeah" by Usher

Define Guilty Pleasure for me. Is it a song that you wouldn't be caught dead listening to? A song that you know everyone would shake their heads if they saw you grooving out to it? For some, my post about ABBA would have to be their guilty pleasure. Or perhaps they are metal heads who like the bluegrass stylings of Allison Krause once in a while.

The vast majority of R&B/Dance/Hip-Hop music is poorly written lyrically, has be ungh-chk ungh-chk drum machine driving force to cover it all up, and what vocals there are seem to be auto-tuned beyond belief. I find it unlistenable, even for the summer windows down Hampton Beach drive by that most of us up this corner of the state seem to like doing.

This song though, is a lot of fun. I am drawn in by the keyboard bits, I like Usher's voice, and there's something bizarre about Lil'Jon's "guest" vocal. I find it irresistible, and my daughter can attest to this because if we come across it on Radio Station Roulette as we drive through Central Pennsylvania, I am guaranteed to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment