Friday, February 18, 2011

Today was a pretty awesome day

This whole past week, even with the cold, as a matter of fact, kind of rocked.

First -- working for Jo at createacook.com has been so fun. I felt alive and awake like I haven't felt in months. Doing something, working, being in an office, with grownups instead of just my dogtourage following me around... it has been great.

Yesterday, we had our court of honor and Geoff advanced in rank to Star Scout. Quite awesome. He is on fire to move up to Life Scout, won't be able to until June because you need 6 months at this rank (He actually advanced in December but got his badge last night). I'm proud of him like I cannot express.

I bought Jessica's bus ticket to come home for spring break. I miss her, and I am looking forward to her coming home.

Today, I got to hang out with my friend Dave for the whole day. He has a seizure disorder, and can't really be solo. So he has a caretaker who hangs out with him, a guy... they do guy stuff. Yard work, errands, stuff. But that guy had a doctor's appointment today, so Dave's wife (my friend Tree) called me and asked me to hang with him. She told me he'd be sleeping when I got there but dude was all dressed and ready to go. We sat and had coffee, enjoyed the dog, talked about the kids and life. Went to lunch with two other friends, my girl Janet from college (who Dave had never met) and Jen, who Dave is already friends with and Janet knows from other circles. We had a blast, totally enjoyed lunch. I thought we'd head back to Dave's house and he said "You know where you're taking me after lunch, right?"

"Uh, no?"

"The Tap."

The Tap is a brew pub in Haverhill, and I guess Dave just wanted a beer. We went and had a couple pints, made fun of people on ESPN, talked about our shared dislike of NASCAR and Bass Fishing, and just generally had a blast. It was 60 degrees, beautiful, sunny, and I'm hanging out at a bar with a good friend shooting the shit in the middle of the afternoon.

I came home, and Geoff and I went and picked Doug up at the train station. We headed out to the Cafe Azteca in Lawrence for dinner -- best Mexican food around. A huge pitcher of Margaritas and a delicious dinner, complete with "Flan Impossible!" at the end, and I'm convinced that life is GOOD right now.

I needed a good week, a good day, and I'm looking forward to a good weekend. Geoff's on vacation next week, and I may take him to Boston for a day trip, go to the museums, generally goof off together, grab Doug and have dinner somewhere else too. Who knows.

1 comment:

  1. This is the thing I like best about not working full-time - being available for people. :)

    "Everything is important, but everything is not. /
    At the end of your life your relationships are all you've got." ~Sara Groves

    ReplyDelete