Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Football Banquet

Last night was the football banquet for Geoff's high school. All 4 years and all 3 teams (Freshmen, JV and Varsity) were represented, not all the players were there (about half of Geoff's team didn't show) but it was still a fun time for the guys to get together and be dressed up and receive their certificates of accomplishments.

I loved Geoff's coach this year and hopefully he'll be moving up the chain to JV). There were two freshmen this year who actually were elevated to Varsity. I think it would have been wiser and more fair if they stayed with their brethren, but I'm not the athletics director.

That said, the kids were so good to Geoff this year, and there are two or three that I would nominate for sainthood, and one that I would prefer we never cross paths with again but I've felt that way since Geoff was in fifth grade. It was nice to see him with his buddies, he was holding court at one point, I'm not sure what they were getting him to say or talk about but they were ROARING with laughter. And it wasn't "at" him, it was "because of" him. If you know the difference.

He's wearing Doug's shirt, jacket and tie because nothing that he owns fits him anymore. Last time he dressed semi-decently was about a year ago, so I'm glad my husband's stuff fits him.  It isn't often that I get Geoff in pants that aren't ripped up the leg or sneakers that are falling apart. I offer to buy him clothes, but he likes the rag-a-muffin look. So I took the opportunity to get him to stand still and not scowl at me long enough to get a picture. I wanted one of the three of us (Geoff, Doug and myself) but he wasn't having any of it.

Geoff says he'll be playing next year, so I'm looking forward to that. And some of these guys. For sure. In three more years, I look forward to another one of these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment