Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Across the hall

Last night, the woman across the hall was in incredible pain. She's got something wrong with her spine, her back, something. And they were trying to get her to pee. She hasn't been able to pee, and now she's on the verge of a bladder infection. So. Nurses come to her at like 11pm with the doctor's orders and the screaming begins.

She doesn't WANT to pee.

She doesn't HAVE to pee.

She'll pee when she feels like it.

She doesn't want to accept that she will get a bladder infection most likely if they can't get her bladder emptied out.

And then they tried a bed pan. And screaming. So much screaming.

So they stopped and asked her if they could catheter her, and she said yes.

And then more screaming. And screaming for help because they were abusing her.

Now, they were not. but she was in incredible pain and distress.

Two hours of effort, the doctor was here, she wouldn't listen. Nothing was working.  I think they finally sedated her or gave her something so she could fall asleep on her own, or she passed out.

I don't think I've ever prayed for someone like I did last night. I won't say her name, but hold the little old lady across the hall from me in your heart today. I hope she has a better day than night.

No comments:

Post a Comment