Friday, September 20, 2002

Halfway through the day today at Cateringman's (trumpet flourish, hands on hips, looking to the horizon with assured satisfaction that the day is saved) they realized they didn't need me to go be on the job tonight after all. They had plenty of waitstaff and three people in the kitchen.

Color me pissed.

I could be in the car on the way to New York right this second. Catering man asked me if I'd come back later this afternoon to the shop to work with him on prep for the two big jobs for tomorrow. Seeing as I could use the money, Planned on being Cateringgirl anyway... I told him to call me on his way back from the delivery of the big big function stuff and let me know what time to come in. Probably at 5:30pm.

So mom and Linda -- sorry. I could be hanging with your face, but it looks like Thanksgiving at the earliest.

Cateringman was short of fuse today. I got lectured for mistakes other people made, just because I was standing in the vicinity. One guy, who is a total misogynist, told me a prep job was done so I crossed it off the list. Cateringman lectured me for 10 minutes on not crossing off jobs until they are 100% done, and not crossing off OTHER people's jobs (I crossed it off because the He Man Woman Hater was grilling and his hands were occupied -- I thought I was doing him a favor).

And the entire time I was having my corn chute raked, Mr. Jerkbag didn't step to my defense at all saying "Well, I told her to circle it... so it's my bad." He walked around continuing to do his job, without saying a word.

Jerk.

He also does things that baffle me -- he's divorced, and hates his ex-wife. He just went through a nasty legal battle and tried to hide money from her, got a really sweet job as an area sales rep for a company in Pittsburgh, and set it up that he got perks instead of money so she couldn't have a percentage of it... ie company car and leased hotel suites for vacations, which he hid from her.

He stands around in front of all us girls, some as young as 18 and complains about women to Cateringman and his partner. Both Cateringman and his partner are divorced, so he thinks he has some sort of alliance with them.

The other day his new girlfriend listened to his advice on something so he came in and said "Well, hell froze over. I never thought I'd see the day but a woman took advice from me. Heh. She got off her high horse and listened to someone other than the voice coming out of her ass."

How nice is that, to say something like that about your current girlfriend. And the things he says about the ex-wife make my skin crawl.

He ended up getting laid off from the sweet deal in Pennsylvania and is currently suing the company for his severance package. He said he and his boss both are being screwed out of close to a million dollars each, so they both retained the same lawyer.

I do hope the ex wife gets wind of the severance package. I actually told Mr. He Man Woman Hater that he was a misogynist and he laughed. He said he liked women quite alright as long as they didn't talk back and give him shit.

So I suppose he hates me too. Cause I talk back at him all the time.

Anyhow, Amy praises me for my Passionate Life stance. Thank you. I truly am living it. I'm just wrinkling my nose and shrugging my shoulders for the past couple of days.


Oh -- forgot to mention yesterday's MF class. I stayed here at the house instead of going to the college. I was at a disadvantage because none of the video feeds would work for the other people, but all the audio was working fine for me. My microphone still doesn't work right, but I could hear everyone else talking.

It went almost smoothly. I would say 70% smoothly. The kids are starting to get the concept of using the Start Menu bar to switch between Blackboard and CuSeeMe, and three kids who are in the lab area will be home starting next week because they have DSL or Cable upgraded at their houses. So that will eliminate the need for so many bodies to be in the lab.

We're going to run the class again online next week. The only problem I am really having with the class is the lack of a private room for the kids to go into. The general public keeps coming in, and I have to "Zap" them out. One guy came in and then gave me all kinds of backtalk about leaving. Using the typed chat area, he wrote "This is a public room you know," and I answered, "Yes it is, because the technology doesn't give us a private room. I am the keeper of the room. We are teaching a class. You aren't registered. Please leave."

Then he typed in all caps that I was a bitch. I said yes. I am. The bitch with the crown deciding who is in this room and if he didn't leave I'd be emailing technical support and letting them know this guy was harassing us.

He finally left, but some of the kids following the typed chat area instead of MF's lecture were typing their own comments like "Yeah! kick his ass!" and other wonderfully encouraging comments. I felt like tough shit.

Well anyway -- that's pretty much it. Spongebob is on right now. I think I'm going to go watch it. Sounds like a good thing to do while waiting for the phone to ring, thus summoning me back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment