Thursday, September 05, 2002

Mission Accomplished...

I'm back.

What a day. What a class. What a mess it will be if I cannot convince the professor to run the course 100% in person and instructor led, web augmented.

The first part of the day we went over the info on Cu-Seeme and ivisit, and when she took attendance kids who signed up for the class the other day weren't told the class was intended to be taught online. Two of the kids were kind of pissy... they didn't have computers at home, they were angry (sorta) with her that there was a limit on the class size of 11 people.

It was hard on Professor MF to have to tell them to go away. If she taught this class instructor led with blackboard.com and in person web augmentation -- it would SO rock the party. And she'd never have to turn a soul away.

And it would be awesome.

We demoed Cu-Seeme for the kids, and while I was in the room two people came in, and started text chatting -- in Italian.

Thanks jerks. So they didn't even speak english and were not leaving the room. They weren't naked, but it showed the kids that promptness is the key for this class if we are to use it.

We also talked to the students themselves and one of them suggested using Yahoo Instant Messenger's web conferencing feature. I loaded the software on the instructor PC, and it looked pretty cool, but it froze the computer twice. I don't know if we can put 12 talking heads up on a screen. It does have a nicer feature to set up a room and INVITE users into a conference when you find them online... That would work out perfectly for Professor MF to set a room up and then check the list for when people log on, and then pull them into the room.

Last time I checked Yahoo's web conference didn't support too many users at once. So this could be... ineffective. But we'll test it this weekend. I still have to on this with her. But, I know ... I know I am right.

I feel it in my heart. I don't want to disrespect her vision -- but until we have a 100% penis-free web conferencing solution that can host 12 individual faces at a time... well, then I don't think we should run the class online.

She has such a strong vision. And a strong will. And she gets so down when things aren't going the way she wants them... even though I've told her to expect this.

We could do it if we had so much money. A private room, the technology wholly owned by the college. But no. Those things are not available to her.

The class seemed to really enjoy the session today, once we got into the actual content of the course. They watched the vignettes on first impressions that Professor MF and I had volunteers come and improv (myself included -- how embarrassing) back in June. They laughed. They got it. It was outstanding.

And I swear. This could be the best class she ever teaches. And the best class they ever take. Why deny them and her the experience just to do something that we could do halfassed (or full penised?)

Enough. I'll keep you posted if you care. But who gives a frick. My journal -- I'll write about it no matter what. Neener Neener Neener!

Tonight is open house at Jessica's school. Parents of her grade are to report to school at 7:40. I forgot that the older your kid gets the later in the evening you're required to show up for grade level crap like this. Jessie insists that I go. I am kind of rolling my eyes in the back of my head.

There's football on tonight -- season opening baby!

There's wicked good tennis on tonight. Andy "Dragonball Z" Roddick vs. Pete "Monkeyman" Sampras.

The nicknames are wholly my own, of course. Pete Sampras' headshot always looks like a monkey when they show it on the TV. Andy Roddick wears these retarded visors that make his hair stick up out the top when he's playing, resulting in a look that is rather like the blonde firey haired guy on Dragonball Z, whatever his name is. The guy on top of my car in this banner. Actually, in this picture Andy looks more like a baboon at the zoo and Sampras... well. Not like a monkey, but it was as good as I could do to get these pics put together for the purpose of this entry.

On Wednesday night Roddick played an amazing match. I'm not a huge tennis fan, but I was astounded by his performance, like I was last year when I watched the Aggassi/Sampras Semifinal match.

So tonight it is margaritas and Flushing Meadows... wish I could be there in person one of these days for a great final/semi/quarter performance. After open house.

Well, I should cook supper. Play with puppy. Brush hair. I look a mess. What a day. What a day...

No comments:

Post a Comment