Friday, October 04, 2002

Single Parent Weekend

Send good vibes my way. I'm in line for that second interview with the faculty/CIO/Provost search committee AND other people from the IT/Multimedia department who are invited in to also consider me for the webmaster position that will be opening up in January. It should be stressful and hairy. Just the way I like job interviews. Make 'em laugh, sell myself hard, walk out of there glowing and victorious, get a phone call when I get home with an offer. That's the way every other full interview process I've gone through has ended up. Let's hope I keep my string of success going.

Part of me wants a job now, with faculty. Another part of me is equally happy to wait until January for a non-faculty design position. I wonder what the pay is for the second position?

Either way -- the fact that this woman is considering me for both means she likes me. A lot. And I like that. I have sent out gazillions or resumes with no responses back from anyone. So to send one in and have a phone interview which blows the interviewer away is a beautiful thing.

Damn, don't it feel good to be a gangsta. For a change. Unemployment has been fun, and I've sure loved being home for the family needs, but in the long and short of it -- we need thousands and thousands of dollars by April 15th to pay our taxes on all the unemployment I've earned and the contracts I had this year, so I'd like to be able to write that big fat check on August 15th and mail it that day, in full, without writing a check for a partial amount and sending it in with a letter saying "Dude, we dont' have enough money, here's some and you'll get more really soon." Which I've done before, and which has always worked out well, but it isn't a position I want to find myself in this year.


Completely unrelated to anything: Mark your calendars. As of 11am today I am officially sick of Eminem's "Boo Hoo, everyone thinks I'm bad so I'm going to BE bad/I want you all to leave me alone" Schtick. If he doesn't want to be popular or powerful, don't get on MTV news and whine about it. Take a cue from another recalcitrant rock star who had a lot more talent but took the non-TRL true confessionals interview exit off the stage -- Kurt Cobain.

Bye now. Seeya. Great to know we won't hear you bitch anymore about how the critics are so mean and fans want your flipping autograph. Get lost. Puh-lease.


I just got back from Logan Airport, where I droped Mr. (a)musings off for a weekend flight to Chicago.

A friend of his from high school (and, I suppose a friend of mine too, but I don't know him so well) will be wed to a lovely gal on Saturday. We couldn't afford for all four of us to go, and to pay someone to watch the kids for us would be just as expensive as all four of us going, so I am home being a single mom for a couple days.

I promised the kids we'd go to the movies tonight, so after I pick Geoff up at school we'll head off to see Jonah - A Veggie Tales Movie. I can't believe they are bringing Veggie Tales to the big screen. I'm curious to see if they water down the religious stuff for popular secular culture viewers, and I'm also interested in seeing how many people fall in love with the style of animation, the characters etc... and go buy the movies only to get huge religious messages out of them.

I wonder what critics have to say about this film. We shall see. I already know the kids will love it, and it will be an easy night for us. We'll get movie and pizza, and have some fun. Geoff wants to go bowling really badly, and I guess it is supposed to be crummy weather this weekend, so I'll take them tomorrow or Sunday. Doug's flight gets in at 9pm Sunday night, or so... We'll be daddy free the entire weekend.

I have had a busy couple of days. Wednesday I chaperoned a class field trip for Jessica and it was a lot of fun. I had four girls: Jessie, her good friend A (see Jessie's birthday for info on her), a very sweet and funny C, and a K.

K is quite peculiar, and A dislikes her greatly and was vocally opposed to anything K suggested or wanted to do. K took her time going through the exhibits, talking to the interpreters, taking notes. A thought that was retarded.

"What kind of idiot takes NOTES on a field trip?"

"I don't know, and idiot like me," I answered holding up the pad of paper I was using to take notes. The school gave us study guides to use to ask the kids questions. They were very helpful, and I did ask them a lot of questions about what they were seeing.

A wanted to rifle through all the exhibits and go to the gift shop. I told her I'd budgeted 20 minutes at the end of the day to hit the gift shop, and that she'd have to wait.

She didn't like that.

Anyway, we got to the end of the day, and there was an ice cream parlor. The girls wanted ice cream, but K didn't bring any money. "It's not fair, I thought we weren't supposed to bring money on field trips." She sulked.

When Jessie, A, and C were ordering ice cream, I told K to order some too and I'd pay for it. Then I decided I'd pay for all four of their ice creams (and mine. All told, less than 10 bucks). They were thrilled, "Oh! Now I have five whole dollars to spend at the gift store instead of just three! Thank you!")

At the gift store I handed K two dollars and told her to buy some candy or something, that was all I could really give her. So she bought candy to share with the other three girls. They all sat on the steps before we went to the bus enjoying their candy and playing with the toys the other girls got, and it was a nice sight.

A was markedly nicer to K once she was given candy (isn't that always the case?) and the trip ended on a happy note. All four of them told me it was the best field trip ever, and I was the best chaperone they'd ever had.

So in one year I've been the best substitute teacher ever, and best chaperone ever. That's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment