Wednesday, October 23, 2002

A surprising snowy day

Normally it does not snow here before my birthday in November. Today, an exception to the 35 year rule. The news reports last night said that west of Worcester they'd see accumulating snow to about an inch, here -- some flakes but nothing.

Worcester must have a foot of snow this morning because we have an inch.

Geoff was thrilled beyond belief with the sight. Jack puppy wasn't nearly as interested. I had hoped puppy's first snow would be a delight for him and for me to witness. Oh well. Geoff thinks it's going to snow all day while he's at school and he'll be trapped there, as the Simpsons leads him to believe. It should all turn to rain and be gone by the time school lets out. Here are a couple quick pictures, and of course the banner is inspired by the fact the foliage is still falling, even though the snow is here too. But, as I said... it is fleeting. 'Twill be all gone and but a memory this afternoon.


The mums on the porch are weighed down by the snow. I feel the urge to go around the yard and clean all the plants off to keep them from getting hurt.
Fall and winter collide right in my own backyard.

In other news, yesterday Wayne came down from his place and we spent the afternoon designing and planning the home entertainment built in shelving unit that I've been talking about here for just ever. He's really smart with design and building... my husband was insulted that I called Wayne for this, but he should not be. See, here's the deal -- Wayne's good with this stuff and in exchange for what I'm good at (web design) we made an agreement (Doug was sitting there, and I guess he just doesn't recall all of this...) that we'd trade. I'd build him a family site, he'd build me some rocking furniture. Done deal.

I didn't tell Doug that the plan was to get this done in the near future (the conversation took place this summer) so he was mad. I didn't consult him, and I guess I undermined his home improvement skills by calling in a professional hobbyist.

But it's not to undermine his skills. This is a lot more than putting up some shelves that you buy at home depot. This is building a nice piece of furniture. that is scalable so we can get a bigger TV and not have to rip anything out. This is cabinetry, not shelving. This is going to look the bomb when Wayne is done. I have priced units that would fit into the space we have, and they are (at the unfinished furniture. store) well into the thousands of dollars, unfinished. So far, for the bottom part of the cabinet, materials were about 125 bucks. The top part will be very easy -- probably a total of 50 bucks. Then we paint or stain to our liking and viola, the nicest thing we own. Done.

I do feel bad that Doug was insulted and mad at my going forward with this, but also frustrated because I am trying to be proactive and get stuff done while possible. I need to get a full time job, at least by January, and then will have no time to do any of the stuff I set out to do. I'm feeling the pressure, as if I know my own date of death, or as Homer felt -- having 24 hours to live -- and I have this list of stuff to do and a looming "dead" line. Doug has done a lot of the home improvement stuff we've needed done this year, and I'm really proud of him for doing those things. But I totally feel that the ceiling and this cabinetry are so important for me to get done that I've just got to do it.

I know he reads this, and I know I should be telling him these things -- but last night he sent me loud and clear signals that he didn't want to talk to me about it, and I'm hurt and he's hurt and I guess that's where it stands.

I love my husband -- I appreciate my friends who are helpful... I have ideas and plans that I want to accomplish. I shouldn't have to feel defeated in my efforts to make this a better place to live. We've got issues with the dogs sneaking around the house doing their outdoor business (when they were JUST outdoors), we've got issues with Geoff stemming from bedwetting or not getting awake enough to actually pee into the toilet, so I've got THAT to contend with. There is so much that I feel is blocking me from keeping this place livable that I feel like I am going to freak out screaming and run into the woods pulling my hair out, never to return.

So much to do... and so little time.

I got email last night from another friend of Clayton's who just recently heard about his passing. He's read the content in the journal, and I guess it's good that it is there for him, and others who had no idea. The alumni magazine announcement that I wrote still sits in my inbox, my heart unwilling to send it to the publications department to have it run... so the Alumni director put a simple two sentence announcement into the most recent quarterly publication. But I doubt anyone who graduated around our time looks at the "In Memoriam" section... usually it's filled with people who graduated the same year Mr. Burns graduated from Yale. Only one other time have I seen anyone from the 80s listed there. Perhaps I should still send it in. With a great picture from that time... perhaps they'll still run it if they have space. I don't know.

Anyway... all my chatting here about needing to get work done has me... needing to get work done. I've got two webpages to build and another possible project lined up. I've got drywall joint compound in a 61 lb container calling my name from the garage. Sigh. Gotta do what a gal's gotta do. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment