Sunday, March 16, 2003

Aaron go bragh!

Ides of March yesterday. Beware, beware, yadda yadda. I hope you all bewared and are well.


While babysitting Baby Ben Friday, I got a call from the recruiter who set me up on the interview Thursday. She told me that the people I'd interviewed with had narrowed it down to me and another guy, and they picked...

..the other guy.

So in less that 24 hours I've been kerb-kicked twice. Sad. Very sad.

I dealt with it pretty well until the ride home. I was incredibly pissed at that point, sick of sending out resumes, sick of going on interviews. I wonder if people are finding this journal and reading it and deciding I'm not the girl for the job. That crossed my mind. I wondered why on earth I have to sell myself so hard for a friggin 11 dollar an hour job entry level job.

Then, I got even more pissed when I realized that while I was IN college I was making $10 an hour working for a couple different companies. So in 17 years I've gone up in value by one dollar?

I don't think so.

I got home and A&M weren't here yet. I sat down to try and send out more resumes, and my family was too fun and happy and it was pissing me off even more. I was ready to go sit outside in a snowbank just to get away from them, and felt that I'm so sick of the snow that I'd probably go apeshit if I did that.

Then, my friend Naomi [from Australia originally, but I worked with her at the last company I was at full time] called me with a job lead. A recent employer of hers from her post our-company life had called her, asking if she wanted a design job with one of their clients.

She's already working, so she declined it but sold me hard to them and they were very interested. So she wanted my resume post haste... and I am of course thrilled to oblige.

I sent my resume out immediately. Wish me luck.

A&M had arrived before Naomi's call, and their presence and their attitudes cheered me up markedly. With the phone call and them here I became a happy gal. We broke out the funny Irish hats from last year, and we commenced to having dinner and fun. Nachos, beer, laughing, ragging on the French in French (Michelle speaks it so it's super extra fun to speak French in disparaging voice), Dennis Leary's old standup routine from early 1992 when he was "edgy", and a funnyassed episode of South Park... made for a wicked fun reunion.

Here is some photographic evidence of our good time Friday night. We broke out the leprechaun hats we'd purchased last year in Bangor, and a good time was had by all.

Aaron looks to be the proud pappa of these two babies -- 5 litre mini-kegs of Grolsch. Not an Irish beer but... it'll do.
And this is me as the scary leprechaun lady.
Oh top o'tha evenin' too ya laddie!
We all tried to make really scary crazy leprechaun faces. Michelle won, hands down.
Aaron came in second.
And Jessie was just way too cute.
We toast you -- may the road rise to meet ya...
and may you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows yer dead.

Saturday we had Geoff's girl LD from school over for a play date and we decided that it was lovely enough to go to the ocean and check things out... so we bundled up (hardly... it was about 40) and went to Ipswich, to Little Neck Beach. LD's mom told me she was quite the princess and that she probably wouldn't want to go for a hike and she'd complain about the cold... she was anything but a princessy princess (she still is a princess...) She got right out there and ran around the tidal pools in her boots, checking out snails and yelling to me "I found a shell! I discovered this rock!" And she loved seeing the big houses in Ipswich off of Labor in Vain road. That was one of the first things she told her mom when we dropped her off that afternoon.

Doug and LD discover snails
Close up picture I took so I could be an artsy fartsy
Up part of the neighborhood at Little Neck
Jessica handles a log with authority
Top left, LD shows me her shells and a smile. Top right, Geoff and LDin the cutest picture ever... and to the direct left, Jessie ponders barnacles.
We wore the kids and Gonzodog out. It was time to head home. When we got here the men went and took naps, while Michelle and I got all deviant... with photoshop!

Oh we are SO bad. We laughed and laughed. After the Friday day I'd had, Saturday was 1000 times better. Don't ask why we put buck teeth on all the pictures. It was just easy to do and made everyone look snaggletoothed and gross. Jessie's picture came out the absolute worst. We printed the one of Aaron and it's on our fridge. And Michelle, yes... I did some extra work on yours. The nose had to be enlarged. It begged me to do it. And look how crazy your EYES are!

Love Jessie's teeth there -- little nasty assed green chicklets. Woofa Goofa with the Green Teeth!


We rented movies last night -- We watched "Clay Pigeons" with Joachim Phoenix and Vince Vaughn... very creepy and bizarre. I told Doug when we went to bed that I was going to have nightmares about Vince Vaughn for weeks. And we also watched "About A Boy" with Hugh Grant. I'd read Nick Hornby's book a couple years ago and am so fond of it. But just as with the adaptation that was done with High Fidelity, so much was left out. The whole Kurt Cobain and Nirvana significance element was missing, so the whole angst element to Hugh Grant's character and his bond with the boy meant less to me. It was an okay movie. They made it too sweet and happy. Hollywood ending shit.


Our fun with photoshop continued into this afternoon. Before A&M split we had just a little more fun with photoshop and made St. Patty's greetings for all our friends. Here is an Aaron Go Bragh greeting for you!

He'll be sure to send it to his parents. Nice eh? I love how crazy his eyes came out. He wouldn't let me give him a pig nose like I did in the first one. Such is life. That's some funny shit. The original picture is up in the top frame. All told we gave him crazyassed green eyes, did the teeth and tongue enlargement, colored his beard and eyebrows, made his hand and the beer twice the size as in the original, added backdrop and colored the shirt... oh, and we got a cool claddagh ring for him too. He is so boss. Don't you feel the spirit and festivity of St. Patrick's Day Weekend???

And you have permission to take this picture and send it to all your friends in celebration of St. Patty's day tomorrow. The crazed 6'5" leprechaun sends his love to all (a)musings readers, aye and begorrah!


And so Quietude and Normalcy return to the Way Out Inn. We're happy to have had such a pissahwicked good time with A&M. I've got some cleaning up to do and some resumes to send. We were going to have Corned Beef & Cabbage with A&M but they had to split... we may hold off until tomorrow and have it then. Not sure. Anyway... That's about the story here

No comments:

Post a Comment