Wednesday, August 18, 2004

MAT scores and Grad School

My children are home. I'm so happy.

I missed them horribly. No, seriously. I did. I know you don't think so. But I did.

I had my graduate school meeting yesterday morning, and it took a lot less time than I thought it would.

The advisor told me that I need to take the Millers Analogy Test and the MTEL (Mass. Test for Educator Licensure) Communication and Literacy Skills Test, and then after a certain period of time I can take my subject test to get certification in that particular field (Educational Technology).

So there are two exams in my immediate future.

The MTEL Communication and Literacy Skills Test is Nov. 20th, the day after I turn 38. If I wanted to pay a late fee, I could take it on Sept. 11th. I don't know that I'd be prepared for it in such a short period of time. I'd have to seriously think about that. Doug thinks I can walk into it today and get a 90 or higher. I'd like to know what is being thrown my way before I take it... ya know?

I can take the MAT at any time.

I could even take it the day after tomorrow, the guy tells me.

"But don't I need to study for it?" I ask him, shocked that he'd even suggest I walk into it.

He laughs, "You need to get a 45 or higher on it."

"Out of what?"

"100."

Really now.

I think I'm going to like this. I think I can get less than half right. Heh.

As for the MTEL... I think I may need to prepare for this. I don't even know what is ON it. There are a couple of study guides out in the world, so I may have to go plunk down some cash for a book.

I don't want to walk into it blindly and fail miserably.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if I can talk my way into an interview for the Technology Teacher position in my kids' school district. With all this stuff pending, I may be able to say "Look, hire me." And make a case for myself that would have them waive the certification requirement.

The advisor at the graduate school seems to think that school districts do this all the time. It's up to the individual school district. So I am going to make a few calls and see where I get.

Wish me luck.

Seeing as the meeting was so short, I managed to grab a ferry an hour earlier than I'd planned, which was great. It was a gorgeous day, the weather was flawless. I had my GPS with me and I could see islands that seemed to me to be hundreds of miles away. I don't ever remember it being so clear on a ferry crossing.

And there on the other side was my mom and my kids, waiting for me. I had wanted to spend a little time with mom, perhaps have a late lunch/early dinner.

"I'm not hungry." She says to me.

I just don't get it. It's not about hungry, it's about spending time. Obviously, my mom doesn't grasp social situations the way I do.

So. Okay. Whatever.

We got on the very same boat and left for the return trip... All the better, it meant I'd get home an hour earlier, at least.

The kids and I had a ton of fun on the hour and a half crossing. They behaved wonderfully, and I am really pleased with how it went. Having Geoff cooped up for 90 minutes can go either way. We went on a Dog Petting walk, seeing as there were dozens of dogs there. And we did a ton of sight reading, checking out every sign on every item on the boat. We named some of the islands which didn't appear on our GPS but were out there. Dog Island and Georgetown Island are now official names in our book. Screw their real names.

We got home at 8 and got pizza and wings. I was happy to go to bed, and happy to hear Geoff welcome Doug to the world of the living this morning when Doug got up for work.

I left all the kids' stuff and my graduate school stuff in Doug's car. Duh. I can't do their laundry or fill out forms and look at stuff online with the webpages they gave me. I can't register online or by phone for a class. I can't take Geoff to the beach because his swimsuit is in the bag in the trunk.

I hate when I'm dead to the world in the morning and Doug leaves... I always wake up just as he's leaving, spend about 2 minutes wondering what the hell I'm missing, and he drives away. Just as I sit up and say

"D'oh!"

Must make note to self -- bring stuff in house the night before. You'd think I'd have figured that out by now.

While my kids were away, I had plans. I had big plans to empty their rooms of crap and paint. But websites and meetings got in the way, and I found myself not doing anything with my should-be-productive time. My only regret is that I didn't get a coat of primer on either of their bedrooms.

I received an interesting email from a park ranger at Acadia this week. Seems our Sleestack Seastack Geocache is in park territory, and he confiscated it.

Crap. I thought it wasn't.

But, I'm not going to argue with him. I contacted Aaron and asked him to go get it. We've retired the cache, and I'm kind of sad because it's in such a cool place. Aaron seemed a bit wary of going and retrieving the cache from the guy, I think he thinks we may get fined for it. I hope not.

Well, I can't think of anything else interesting to say. I hear the dulcet tones of "Harvest Moon" coming from the Playstation 2, and Jessica is happy to be playing her favorite game. And Geoff is running with his commentary on her farming skills and Pokemon.

My kids are home. I am going to spend some time with them. And we need a trip to Sam's because we're down to our last three inches of TP.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment