Saturday, August 21, 2004

Job Interview Roundup

I was about 10 minutes early for my interview, he was about 15 minutes late. No worries. I read a history of Scotland which was on the waiting area table. Great enjoyment in that. Lots of fun.

First thing I knew to do was dispel any doubts he had about me as someone without certification, experience and Masters. His questions were easy to answer, and I took them and ran. Spouted my desire to assist teachers in developing sound and reliable pedagogical goals yadda yadda. What I live, breathe and do well. Teaching teachers. And we talked about the kids, and what they learn during the year. I told him how I'd interviewed Jessica, and that she had no recollection of what she did in Computer class before third grade. We pondered the necessity of having K-2 computer classes at all, if not just to play games and have the children get acquainted with the use of the tool.

We talked about town politics, about the crotchety old man who will stand up at town meeting and decry the need for a technology teacher, and how I'd handle that situation. It was a great deal of fun.

He informed me that he was very impressed with me, my skill set, my knowledge base, my goal towards my Masters, and everything -- and wanted me to interview next with the principal of the elementary school that shares this position.

I am waiting to hear from principal number one at the first school. Principal number two may not have the time to meet me, as he's just started and getting settled in.

He then started talking salary. I have a personal philosophy to NEVER ask what a job pays in the first interview. He made it a point to let me know "What you'll be getting paid when..."

I'm thinking "If," but he's saying "When."

I have zero years teaching experience, a bachelor's degree, and this is my first year. Starting salary is $32,200. Mind you, that is for 180 days worth of work. Which works out in the end to $25.55 an hour.

The big issue in all of this is that I wouldn't be hired as a teacher. I'd be hired as a "long term substitute." Which means a number of things. One, I'm ineligible for insurance, retirement, short/long term disability. Okay, I can deal with that. Second, I am ineligible for the teacher's union, which in theory I'm cool with but if I ever need "protection" I don't get any, end of conversation. And finally, if the more qualified candidate crawls out of the woodwork halfway through the school year, I'm liable to be let go in deference to hiring the more qualified candidate.

It's a risk I'm willing to take, and I told him I'm fine with all of the above.

So.

In short, I'm still hopefully speculative, wildly optimistic, and on egg shells this weekend as I doubt the principal will call me before Monday.

As usual, I'll keep you posted. I am so confident after talking to the super nintendo that I will be the perfect person for this job. Absolutely perfect. Keep your fingers crossed until they cramp, boys & girls. We shall see what comes to pass.

In the meantime, today is an icky nasty rainy day. The storms that were forecast for yesterday afternoon passed just to the south of us with their purple, red, orange and yellow echoes on the Doppler map. We didn't get anything but distant thunder.

I went to bed around 11:30 last night (more Beavis & Butthead action on MTV2, thank you very much), and at about four was shocked out of bed by a huge clap of thunder and lightning akin to a disco nightclub show in the 70s. Flashing without ceasing. It took me a long time to get back to sleep... today hasn't been thundery at all, but it could kick up again this afternoon. We may be home-bound for the day...

I may try and get some school shopping done for the kids. Then again, we may just clean Geoff's room and play Playstation.

I'll update when I can, if there's news to tell. Thank you all for the well wishes, from Sugarmelon to Jo to Annie and Gandalf. I can feeeeeel the love.

Have a nice day, in spite of any of your weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment