Sunday, June 05, 2005

Hot hot heat

Not the band, but the weather. So we did exactly what I thought we would do, weatherwise. We've gone from 50 degrees and raining to 90 degrees and sweltering in one week. Yesterday we went out geocaching in the Exeter area, and it was gorgeous hot. The woods were humid with the moisture seeping out of the fresh leaves of the trees, and the smell of damp earth and sweet flowers was intoxicating.

Yes, in Exeter.

There were two nice trails that we went on. One was on the backside of the Phillips Exeter campus, the other was in the Oaklands Forest up on 85.

The only reason I say this is because I tried to call our friend Mr. Garfield (a frequent commenter and should-be blogger) but when I called the number that Verizon Wireless gave me, it was some guy Fareed's house. Unless Mr. Garfield is a silly man who has "Hi, you've reached Fareed. Leave me a message" on his answering machine as a goof, I couldn't leave a message. I didn't want to invite Fareed hiking with us.

Should have brought your number and address with me. Mea Culpa.

Yesterday was great. In the Oaklands forest there were mountain bike trails, and this system of ramps and jumps along the granite shoulders of the trail... Napoleon Dynamite would want to know if you took your bike "off any sweet jumps" and you could say "Yeah. This one."

When we were in Exeter at the Powderhouse, there was this gianormous crane or heron or something, and it was flying all around. I got one shot of it, because we never knew where it would be. And we saw an otter. First time we've ever seen anything like that especially not out in the wild where one might expect to see some wildlife like that. The view from the Powderhouse trail is really nice. Exeter is a cute town and it was fun to visit there yesterday.

It felt really good to be out. We didn't get too many miles logged because we left late in the afternoon, and only hit three caches. But at least we didn't get caught in a thunderstorm this time.

Last night I spent a ton of time going through the archive folders for 2001 and fixing all the broken relative links... the content has gone from one computer to a CD to another for storage, back onto a different CD... so all the links were broken, and some of the graphics are missing but I'm sure I can find them.

I finished June through November 2001. What a difference three or four years make in a kid. I especially like this picture of Geoff from back in the day:



Anyway... I'll keep whacking at the archives and getting them up on the server. I'm sure that you're just dying to read them. In the meantime, I'm afraid I actually have to water my garden today. Haven't had to do that lately!

No comments:

Post a Comment