Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Steelers Did It!

Well, the Steelers did it and I could not be happier. All apologies to everyone who didn't think that Ben Roethilsberger's first touchdown was actually a touchdown -- They still would have won even if the touchdown was ruled not. Because they're just better. I had a hell of a great time watching the game.

By the way -- it was a touchdown and it's time for you to stop crying.

just take the stinkin picture maWe had a pretty good weekend.

We set out for some geocaching on Saturday. Satellite coverage was spotty at best at the Hampstead NH conservation area where we stopped for our first cache, so we ended up taking a nice long walk. We got back to the car, and satellite coverage improved so Doug wanted to go out the half mile in the opposite direction and find the cache. My throat was killing me (I have a really nasty cold) and I really didn't want to go but we pressed on and found the cache and made it back to the car before it started to pour down rain.

Geoff is pictured here in one of my "out takes" of him. He always gets frustrated with me when I ask him to look at the camera and not make a peace sign and not stick out his tongue. I'd taken four shots and he finally rolled his eyes and sighed in disgust and I took this shot. The next one was perfect. If you want to see it, go to flickr.

We stopped at the pet store and got our fish for the new tank. We have 11 tiny little fish who school together and freak out if the bubbler is turned on. They're cute and funny and I am trying to take pictures of them but it just isn't working.

You will have to believe me that they exist.


Sunday I went to the laundromat to dry all our clothes because our dryer broke (dryer repairman is hopefully here at 3pm). My daughter and I dried all the clothes and schlepped them back. I had to take Geoff to a laser tag birthday party at 3, and we had a really good time. Geoff sucks at laser tag but all his buddies made him feel really good about it, without mocking him. They played 2 games and he got negative 19 points in the first game. But he was able to make 90 points in the second.

The laser tag place was not really crowded, which was good. The place can be intolerable with the noise, crowds and music and I usually end up leaving with a head ache. The boys pretty much had the place to themselves except for a few odds and ends of people who got in on their sessions.

The first time through one of the dads at the party went in to supervise the kids and make sure no fists got thrown out of frustration. That sometimes happens with a large pack of 9 year old boys. In their group was also a woman and her two daughters and 2 boys who were about 4 years older than our pack. According to the dad inside, our boys and the other boys kind of singled out the grown up woman and hit her a bunch of times. Which they thought was funny, but she sure didn't.

When they all got out of their game, the woman made some snarky comments to A, the older brother of one of the party guests. He's about 13 I think. She said that he was singling her out, and she didn't appreciate it.

He shrugged and said "I am just hitting targets as I see them, not sure what your problem is." So she got really pissy with him and the dad inside, in front of all the kids in our group.

They went in for a second game, and what does this woman do? She goes in with them instead of waiting for the next round.

Big. Mistake.

They singled her out mercilessly. The boys were following her, in a pack, just shooting at her target. I think that's how Geoff got 90 points. Once your shot you can't shoot back for like 10 seconds... I think A got 1099 points of that woman alone.

When they came out of the second game, I sat there and watched this woman FREAK OUT to the manager. I was sitting with another dad and both of us came to the same conclusion.

This woman was nuts.

"I paid money for this, and I didn't enjoy myself AT ALL."

Well lady, since when are we as humans guaranteed enjoyment for anything in life even when we pay money for it. And what else would you pay? Would you pay gummi bears? Would you pay wampum? Would you pay spam? Of course you paid money. The dad and I sat there listening to her fight with the manager, she wanted her money back and she wanted the boys punished. Eventually she left without satisfaction. I asked the manager what the boys did wrong, if they physically hurt her and he said "I get this 50 times a day. She got mouthy with them before they went in and they just did what boys do. They kicked her ass."

Of course they did.

It is the only time in their lives that they can aim a gun at a grown up, shoot them repeatedly, and not get arrested. They had a field day. She trash talked at them and they banded together and she couldn't fight back. She stepped into the viper pit. And got bit. Hard. Sore loser. I would have shot her too had I gone in to play. But I opted out. I had on clogs and it is hard to outrun a 9 year old in clogs. And I had on a white shirt. Which would have made me an even bigger target.

And I know what to expect from 9 year old boys. Mess with the bull? Not me.


when pyrex quits it goes We made it home in time for opening ceremonies for the Super Bowl. I made scallops wrapped in bacon and Doug made chicken wings. Right before the coin toss we heard this massive KABLAM! explosion come from the kitchen. Doug goes running in and there is smoke pouring out of our oven.

Not good.

Seems the pyrex dish he put in the oven exploded. He had the oven cranked to 500 degrees, and the rack was too close to the heating unit on the bottom. And it exploded everywhere. Doug managed to get a bunch of it out of the oven before the wings caught fire. But it is a total mess. We still have to clean inside the oven and get all the glass out. We had a good laugh, and I took a picture of it, of course, because I am a blog terrorist as you know.

I stayed home today because the head cold just is kicking my ass, and I pee when I cough, and I just didn't feel like sitting in the office. I called an appliance repair guy who will be here to fix the dryer (I already mentioned that, but I'm glad to have the time to be home and wait for him) and I am going to go take a shower now while I have a few minutes before the boy comes home.

I was going to write about the commercials and which ones were funny and which weren't but I don't really care. Having a cold takes the bite out of my blog terrorism. You can leave a comment and tell me which you liked best. Go right ahead.

Anyway -- more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment