Saturday, February 04, 2006

"And if it's a boy I'll call it Gordon."

The other night, we went to the pet store to get a hood and light assembly for our new fish tank. Doug mismeasured the size of the tank, or I should say he misguestimated because he never did measure it. So we came home with a hood and light assembly that was 18 inches too long. There are a lot of jokes in that in regards to guys never telling the truth about length or size, but I'll leave those to you, dear reader. I shan't make them, lest I make my husband mad at me. After all I am a blog terrorist, you know.

gordon jess 2Anyway -- what that meant was a trip back to the pet store to get the right size. The following night I went up with Jess to do the exchange and we ended up coming home with a guinea pig. Jack is, of course, freaking out. He loves to chase tiny critters in the woods. He and the local squirrel who feasts at our bird feeder have a long running feud. So here we go bringing a little wee one into the house. Jack is licking him and trying to flip him over, which makes the pig squeak and squeal. It's funny for a second and then it just has to stop lest pig have massive plotzing or heart attack on our couch.

Jessica named him Gordon, not for the song but for the lyrics to "Steven Page is Having a Baby" and "Ballad of Gordon" both by BNL. He is colored like a rottweiler without the brown eyebrows. We seem to gravitate to black pets, don't we? All told, he's about 100 times bigger than I wanted. I wanted a wee tiny one like the one we had last time. A baby that we could grow up. But she like him a lot in the cage and all the guinea pigs were huge and it was 8:30pm and I didn't want to go to another pet store. So Gordon came home with us.

He enjoys carrots and lettuce, and has only escaped someone's clutches once and gotten into the couch cushions. I gave Gordon a photoset on Flickr, which makes me feel guilty that I haven't done one for Jack and Kinger. Perhaps I'll do that one day when I've nothing else to do. So go check him out. He's really cool.

I think we're going to go geocaching today. So I'd better get my act together and get off the PC so Doug can search us up some geocaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment