Thursday, March 10, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day Thirty

Day 30 - Your favorite song this time last year
"Drive" by Incubus

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there, with open arms and open eyes."

This time last year... I had received notification that I would be laid off on March 26th. I was winding up finishing my job. I was getting to the point where I had done everything I needed to do, because a hard fast do nothing that goes beyond date XYZ was just as far as a girl could go. There was almost nothing for me to do all day.

So I cleaned my office, I worked on some things for other people. I came in late, left on time. I took nice long lunches with friends.

I was excited and sad at the same time. I mean, I'd been there for almost six years. I would probably still be there today if they hadn't let me go. I enjoyed the people I was working with, even though at times the job had some stupid parts to it that annoyed or bothered me. It was easy to get to, I knew I could go talk about Dr. Who with Gretchen any time I wanted. I knew that MB would have entertaining stuff for me to make me laugh about townie things happening in her little burgh. I enjoyed their company. Even if I felt like there was no advancement opportunity, no chances for me to do or learn more ... it was steady. It was reliable. It was safe.

At my desk, I would stream music and do job searches. Knowing I'd be unemployed I wanted to get a new job as soon as possible. Obviously, that hasn't happened.

This song would come on once in a while. And the refrain itself gave me great hope. I would wake up with it in my head in the morning... I would drive to the supermarket and hear it.

It's almost a year later. I haven't really thought about this song in a while because this winter has sucked the life out of me and I'm really beat up by not being employed. It is hard to have that optimistic view of "whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there...." But I'm hoping.

Perhaps I'll listen to it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment