Wednesday, March 09, 2011

30 day song challenge - Day Twenty Nine

day 29 - a song from your childhood
"One Way Out" by the Allman Brothers Band

When my childhood comes to mind, there is a LOT of music. My mom always had music on in the car. Either the radio or the 8 track tape. We were subjected to what she wanted to listen to, and to be honest, this helped mold the person I am today music-wise. James Taylor, CSN/Y, Rolling Stones, and lots of 50s/60s music. My mom was a huge Everly Brothers fan, and I learned how to sing harmony with her by listening to songs like "Bye Bye Love" and "Cathy's Clown."

But the big memory for me is a Ronco or K-tel 8 track tape that had a stretch of awesome rock songs on it, back to back. "Can't Always Get What You Want" by the Stones fed into "Stay With Me" by the Faces. Loved hearing that song, kicked ass. Loved Rod's voice on that tune. And then, into the beautiful Southern Rock Stylings of the Allman Brothers with their Live from the Fillmore East recording of "One Way Out." This is the epic saga of a cheatin' woman, from the perspective of the guy she's up there doing, when the woman's Man comes home. I remember being rather young, and figuring out what was going on in this tune. Dude was gonna get his ass whooped, or, he would get shot by Mr. Saturday Night Special, if another southern Rock band didn't steer me wrong.

I love the ending, the drawn out "oh it just a might be your man, mmm mmm mmm, oh baby I just don't know...."

When I hear this version of the song, I'm transported back to the car, the windows down, the tunes cranked as we blast through Huntington off on mom daughter errands. I'm not sure how old I was, but heck, 8 tracks had a short window of life there in the 70s. So I'm young again thanks to this one, and this is my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment