Monday, March 07, 2011

30 day song challenge - day Twenty Seven

Day 27 - A song you wish you could play on an instrument
"Bourée"
by Jethro Tull

After yesterday's posting with a song I
could play, I started thinking about all the songs I could probably still play if I thought about it. The flute part to "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis, I could kick ass on that one back in the day. Also the awesome flute bit in "Can't You See?" by Marshall Tucker Band. I can own that one with just a little bit of work. The very simple flute bit in "Who Needs Sleep?" by Barenaked Ladies, also yes. I used to play that on the flute for Geoff when he started taking flute lessons in fourth grade. He was rather impressed by that.

But for all the simple and cute songs I can play, there is stuff I never ever will be able to play. As far as rock songs go, Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson is the master on the madrigal, medieval, modern folk rock flautist throne. I've always been impressed with his skill... the ability to vocalize while playing the flute is sometimes just perfect and other times incredibly inappropriate.

On this particular song that I've chosen, it is all flute driven, based on a beautiful old Bach piece that was written for the lute. They incorporated it into a jazzed up piece, and Ian rocks the flute part on it so beautifully. I have always loved this, been inspired by it. And wish that I could play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment