Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Knock Knock, Who's There?, You're fired!

So don't panic if you read the title. I'm not fired. You all know Doug went and got fired the other day. And I was in an online painful poke me in the eye with burning hot sticks training class this morning when I get email from Linda saying "I just got a phone call. I'm fired."

I was all like Kyle's mom. "Wha wha whaaaaat!!!???"

Essentially she'd had a fight with him last week. She called in sick yesterday and today. They called her up and fired her. I asked her the reason. Her boss states that it is because of her recurrent absences causing the project they're working on to not be working.

Considering it sounds as if the project wouldn't be working at all even if she worked night and day and sleep there. She read her employee manual, and each of the levels of "protocol" that they are supposed to do (verbal warning, written warning, counseling, dismissal) were never done prior to her being fired, I'd say she's going to go in there tomorrow and give them hell. She doesn't want her job back, but she feels she is unfairly dismissed and wants HR to know what happened. I talked extensively with my boss and with A... they feel she has a case for unemployment and I know she should fight for it if they give her a ration in a bucket.

Wish her luck. Hopefully she can get unemployment. And this could turn out to be the Summer of Linda. We shall see.


Monkey references are coming 2fast, 2furious if you ask me. Sunday was a monkey filled day, and Monday Andi at Worst Weblog Ever (she's my new hero, ya know) posted a link to 100 monkeys, a website all about monkeys, with gobs of wicked cool monkey swag. Holy crap it's awesome.

She also informed me that she bought a monkey pocketbook at WalMart. How damn lovely is THAT!

So my little dip in the amount of monkey sightings has rebounded. Either feast of famine... either one monkey or a herd. Can't escape them.

And it isn't even like I'm actively HUNTING for monkeys. These are casual observances of monkeys. Mr Garfield found some good ones over the weekend in the funny pages. How apropooop. If he had his own mad crazy weblog, he could share them with you (I accidentally deleted his email. But they weren't my sightings to share, even if they were very funny).


For the anniversary we all ended up going out for Chinese food. All of us got to go because Doug was so engrossed with the paperwork for his new job and we didn't confirm our need with Carrie to come and sit. We figured it'd be a lot easier, and it's a family affair. Everyone was on good behavior, and there was icecream at the end. And when we got home, there was more mother nature in our yard.

Earlier in the day on Sunday, if you recall, there was a cool toad to play with. This time, we came home to a turtle trying to scale our steps. Obviously lost on his/her way to the creek.

It was really cool, and the dogs got a kick out of sniffing it. And sniffing it we all did -- this bastard was STIN-KA-LIC-IOUS. Damn!

Doug sent him back towards the creek and I guess that's the way it wandered, cause we've not seen it since.

And also in the other day's entry I asked you if you had independent bands that you wanted to plug. So far only Bree has written with hers. She says the Dropkick Murphys and the Confidence Men, both of which I will be checking out. Local independent air monsters WFNX are often touting both bands, but they never PLAY them (go figure). I know my sister, if she were not thinking of ways to get back on her former employer, would tout the band Stage from NY. She knows those guys. I have some of their MP3s and they're cool.

Any others? Send 'em in.

Alrighty then. Big adventures, I tells ya. Well, I have to get Geoff out of the tub and ready for bed. My daughter and husband are enjoying their shared hatred of what's on FOX tonight and I can hear them laughing and scoffing at top volume, especially my daughter. I should go join them, because I'm all about the mockery. But I noticed something -- first they had American Idol and you couldn't be above a certain age to be on it. Then this, where you have to be fresh out of pull-ups in order to participate. And next, I've seen they're introducing a Seniors version, where you have to be over 55.

Now will someone please tell me when my girl Taunia's age group is gonna git a fightin' chance to get up there to diva? I mean, fo real. Foh-Ree-eel. Between 30 and 55 is a great big age group full of talent. Gah.

No comments:

Post a Comment