Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Category Zero Kill Storm; Real and unreal world

After starting out as a category four kill storm at the beginning of the
week, the forecast for snow slowly dwindled, down to category three,
category two, and then pretty much didn't materialize into anything at all by this morning, at least for the North Country here.

I went to the market yesterday with Geoff, we were out of the usual Milk and Bread staples with or without storm, so a trip was necessary. I was pleased to find the market not overcrowded with panicky people grabbing every loaf of pumpernickel and bottles of organic soy milk because the store brand varieties were wiped off the shelves completely.

We had a wonderful time in the market, but Geoff chastised me for singing and dancing. A few short months ago, he would have been singing and dancing with me.

I'm disappointed in this change in him.


Jessica has a role in the school play. A total of about five lines, but
they're funny and as always will be delivered with the best timing, diction and skill.

I had hoped she'd get a larger role. I mean, people around here are still abuzz about her performance five years ago in the first grade class production of "The Magic Fish," where she played the fish. And she played it like no one has played a fish since Darryl Hannah in "Splash."

I'm slightly disappointed that she didn't get the role she wanted -- the Evil Real Estate Agent -- but she's got a good role where she can crack wise and get a laugh. Rehearsals are after school, and today she's there until five pm. This has given me time to be with Geoff by myself. And I'm greatly enjoying that time.

As much as I love my daughter, I can't help but wonder what kind of person he may have turned out to be at this point if he were the first born. It's so much easier to be with him and talk to him when she's not there. While I've always love the concept of siblings, I can't help but think, gee, there is something to having an only child.

But overall, when she gets home from play rehearsal, he's happy to see her, and it is two less hours in a day for them to spend together so they don't reach their critical mass until right before bedtime, or... at all.


This morning I totally thought the kids would be bent out of shape that there wasn't a delay of start for school. Jessica was surprised to see no snow out there, but didn't react. Geoff totally forgot that there'd been a forecast for snow in the first place. We were initially to get 5-7 inches of snow between 2am and 7am... but we got zilch and neither of them reacted negatively. They got ready for school without incident.

I, on the other hand was pissed as shit that we didn't get at least something to muck up the roads... I could have used an extra hour, 90 minutes, two hours this morning to get ready slowly as I'd stayed up horribly late watching... Real World San Diego.

Episode four the other night and I got sucked in. ZSSSSHHHHOOOOOOOP. Can't you hear it?

What is wrong with me? Again, confessions of a 37 year old Real World fan... we've been through this with me before. I'm like a chocoholic, for booze... and Real World (to totally steal from "The Onion," another of my great addictions).

What the hell is wrong with this cast? Brad? Robin? Drunk fools. Randy thinks he's Ashton Kutcher. Frankie is afraid of large metal objects like buildings and cruise ships? Oh dear. Jamie's cute but those Ugg boots have GOT to go, and what kind of a name is Cameran? Uh? All I can think of is Kodak.

Each year I pick a cast member that I cannot live without. I didn't find one in the Paris cast. I hated them all and stopped watching. I was sick of Ace being all "Ace on Nine" and frat boyish, Leah was too Long Island for me. I thought that CT was so Bostonian but also kind of... Gallagher brothers in his speech and appearance that it made me sick to my stomach. What was with that hair?

This year, I've found my cast member to love. Thus far, it has to be Jacquese. He's the only person in the house I enjoy hearing from and watching. I felt how uncomfortable he was with the whole "nigger" situation, and I absolutely LOVED that he called his mother in the middle of the night and she gave him the best advice.

You know me -- always impressed when the mom isn't a total psycho.

I love how she talked him down, and made him see clearly that I thought his "Free Brad" sign on his sweatshirt was hysterically funny. He brought the protest and the Black Power to his white imprisoned brother, and the cause grew. Pretty soon, everyone in the house had "Free Brad" taped to their shirts and drunk Brad dried out in a cell and no one knew where Robin was, but she also was in lockup for battery.

And, of course, the Real World/Road Rules challenge of the Gauntlet just finished up last week and those pimpy pushers of Eye Crack have put together yet another broadcast to cause me to lose sleep -- the Inferno. Damn if the Gauntlet didn't just finish up and they're serving up yet another slab o'pie for me. Jerks.

So you know where I'll be. Watching MTV. I'm getting too old for this. Gah.

Well, some snow finally fell. Not enough to warrant any school closings or to slow traffic. Just enough for all the grey crappy dogpissed snow to get covered nicely. Everything has such a nice, fresh, clean look to it. For the dogs to poop on.

Right then -- time to go get Jessie from play rehearsal. More later folks. Have a gorgeous day...

No comments:

Post a Comment