Sunday, November 13, 2005

The couch and I didn't spend much time this weekend

A few weeks ago, when my parents moved, we inherited my sister's former futon for Jessica's room. It's been in our truck since. I got sick, then Doug didn't feel well, and then another week went by and the new bed my daughter has been anxiously awaiting set-up for is still in the truck. It's how our life typically goes. I have been driving the truck to work lately, so I am sick of looking in my rear view window and seeing the futon mattress scruched up and blocking my view.

It was time.

So I asked Doug if we could get the dang thing out of the truck. One stumbling block to making forward progress was the fact we had this old old old loveseat in Jess' room which has become totally trashed in the past few years. It was left over from when Clayton lived with us. And it was rotten and horrible and simply not even worth driving over to the Salvation Army.

We decided to trash it, but we couldn't put it out on the curb as a whole. The trash guys won't take couches. And we were 100% certain that no one on planet earth would want this thing. We figured it would be fun to wreak some havoc on the hapless piece of furniture, so we took it outside and literally ripped the stuffing out of it.

You can view the carnage in flickr if you like. Click here for couch potatoes' revenge.

Not only did we trash a couch, but we went Geocaching too. We set out to do more than one, ended up doing one. Because it was a "mystery" cache, we had to solve a puzzle and then go out and find the cache, only to discover there was more to the mystery than we anticipated. So we got out of the area just at sunset. There are pictures in flickr too if you want to see those. Some really good ones of Jessica for a change.

Then, Jessie and I did make good friends with the couch for several hours last night as we watched BBC America's Pythonathon. Good times, good times.

Today we were up early, did some junk around the house, observed Jessica snoozing on her futon mattress (we still need to set up the frame, but she's happy to have the mattress all set up!) and then we went canoeing. We hadn't been pretty much since we bought the thing, not for lack of desire but for lack of water and good weather.

Our choice this morning was to go out and do cache maintenance on some existing geocaches we own, or to hit the water. I am glad we hit the water but am reminded that my upper body strength has never been good, and now my arms feel like Jello.

So my butt was relatively detached from the couch for a lot of hours this weekend and it feels pretty good. But it is 1pm and there is football starting up, so I think my ass is going to become reacquainted with its groove on the cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment