Sunday, November 29, 2020

The Thanks Post for 2020

We had Thanksgiving, here in the USA. 

2020 has been a weird year. This year I knew Jess was not coming down to hang with us (I am pretty sure in 28 years, this is the first Thanksgiving we've ever had not as a foursome). 

Doug invited his aunt and cousin to join us even though I didn't want anyone in our house. I wanted it to just be us. If Jess couldn't be here, well then no one can be here. 

He felt it was alright. So they came. We had a lovely dinner. I did all our shopping super far in advance and the turkey was pre-brined which I didn't read on the label. It was probably the best turkey we've ever had. 

I took Doug's aunt on a short walk because she's got some vein and circulation issues that cause her to need a walk. Two blocks and that was far enough for her. She's 80, so I was proud of her for getting where we did, and she thanked me for dragging her out. It made me feel like I'm some sort of athletic rock star here, just to bring her safely up to our little free library (and Pokestop!) and around the block. I told her it was all downhill back to the house. She was very relieved and said it was the longest walk she's had in a while. She usually walks around the dining room. I encouraged her to get a fitbit or something, and see how many steps it is around the block. Or up to the corner and back. And then break that each day by 10 steps. Seeing as I don't even like to go outside anymore, I'm not exactly the one to take advice from. 

But she seemed really happy for me to give her that encouragement.

The Day After Thanksgiving was pie for breakfast day. 

Pictured is a mess pile of my sour cream apple pie and my coffee with whipped cream and cinnamon and cocoa powder on top. 

It doesn't count for sugar, carbs, whatever. It's the day after Thanksgiving. And I didn't have a slice the night before so it's all good. We're good. 

Sour cream apple pie is actually a pretty bomb ass thing to make. Freaking delicious. 

We took a long walk yesterday. Doug wanted to "walk off the sugar" and made me and Geoff get in the car to take a walk at the C&O Canal. The parking areas we usually go to were closed and filled with construction vehicles so we drove further towards the city and ended up at a spot at the intersection of Clara Barton and Chain Bridge. It was a good place to park, and while there were a lot of people on the tow path, we went off the path an into the woods to walk closer to the Potomac. 


We sat by the river and enjoyed the spot. I've driven above here a million times on the GW Parkway, that's in the picture above, where the sun is about to come down on the overpass. I always wondered how to get down here, and now I know. 

We met some good dogs.

It was a 3 mile round trip walk. Felt good and we had a lot of fun.

Today was another beautiful day but I mostly hovered indoors. My house is so nice and clean from having company that I'm greatly enjoying being up in here. 

We are starting to think about our move, looking at listings and things and starting to think about life. I still have books I was thinking of unpacking but those are going to stay put. 

Happy to be here and dreading the move deeply. I am tempted to contact my property manager and say "are they really sure they want to sell? I mean, reallllllyyyyy?" 

I know I am feeling selfish. But I'm happy. I'm here and settled and looking around my living room and my plants, and my books and just feeling like I don't want to let this go. 

Not yet. 

I'm thankful for this spot. This neighborhood and the people we've gotten to know. For Pat and Tony & Betsy. For the Pokestop up the street that gets me out most days just to hit the spinner. For the closeness of the Metro that I have not ridden since March, but knowing it is there. For how easy it is for Geoff to get to classes when he needs to get to classes in person. For the ease of access to the Beltway, even if the Beltway is a shit show most days. For how I only have a few miles if I want to drive into DC, to my office or to anywhere else. 

I'm happy here. I'm not in love with here. But this building and the surrounding area, I'm cool with it. Very cool. Content. And that's half the battle in being thankful. To recognize what brings you calm and comfort. It isn't perfect but it is good. It is better than all the alternatives. It is safe. I'm safe. 

And for all of that, I'm truly thankful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment