Tuesday, December 29, 2020

It's a Christmas Covid Tale! Part 1

 First, no dog. 

Dog's human has changed her mind. And it is probably for the best since we just had a week of adventure. It would have been nice to have a dog handy for some love and cuddles, but, better that we did not.

Around December 13, Sunday, I got a bit nauseous and had a slight fever. I thought I caught a stomach bug. Took Monday and Tuesday off. Wednesday felt better, Thursday I felt much better, but I still felt slightly off. Doug ordered Chinese food, because a good miso soup or Hot & Sour always makes for better feels. 

One sip, one spoonful, and I almost died. It was horrible. The taste was just nasty, salty, greasy. Tried some fried rice. How can you go bad with fried rice? 

Oh man no. Equally bad. 

And then I realized I could not smell the shrimp curry. At All. Super bad sign when you were looking forward to super spicy feel good foods that always cure all.

A big symptom of Covid is the loss of taste and smell. My smell was off for sure, but the taste was tasting, and just not tasting right. I ate saltine crackers, and they were perfect. Safe food.

Doug had no problem smelling the swell smells of chinese food. I forced myself to eat an egg roll (awful) and went to bed. Geoff came home about an hour later saying they sent him home sick. He was dizzy, head achey, just felt horrible. 

Great kids, guess what I think is happening here.... We caught the Covid. 

I went online to schedule a test. Nothing available until the following Tuesday, 12/22. Geoff dragged his feet and didn't get a test scheduled until Wednesday. 

I pretty much went to sleep Thursday, 16 plus hours. Called into meetings on Friday but told my manager I was basically down for the count. More fun trying to eat food. Doug ordered pizza and all I could eat was the crust. I had some slices of cheddar cheese which tasted like plastic but they were harmless. Slept most of the weekend, fighting a headache and fever. 

Fever for me is anything over 99. My temperature is usually 97.7 about (a good classic rock radio band) and so if I get to 99 you know we're in toasty sound. Temps were flipping between low 99 to up to 102. Chills, sweats, sleep, inability to stay awake for longer than 90 minutes. 

Got my test done, got the results the following afternoon, and it was positive. Telehealth called me to check in and we talked about the headache. They wanted me seen in person so we went up to Gaithersburg, on Thursday. Doug had to wait in the car and I was in the Urgent Care for hours. They ended up checking my O2 (about 95%, a little low but not jaw dropping) and they gave me a prescription for the headache and some antibiotics. 

The following day (mind you, it is Christmas Day) and they had me test my oxygen again. It was 90. The cough had arrived, the headache was better but not gone. They wanted me back at Gaithersburg. 

And then they transferred me to the hospital by my house. In my neighborhood. A great place, but, not like anyone could come visit and hang out with me. At least Doug could come by with a bag of stuff for me (laptop, charger, book, snacks, changes of clothing, the good stuff you need when you are in isolation. 

We got me started on a covid medication  by IV that they can only administer in hospital. It causes a bit of insomnia, and I was up until 6am. Got a 90 minute nap later in the morning. 

Christmas in the Covid Isolation Ward begins. 

I'll update more tomorrow. It is getting late, and not to give the ending away but I'm indeed home. And will share the rest of our tale tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment