Tuesday, September 03, 2002

Relationships, Yankees, Dishwashers Hurrah.

Funny how some relationships work. Even though you aren't connected as closely, you're still connected.

I got email the other day from folk musician and friend Jon Svetkey showing off his little baby boy, and a few weeks ago got similar email from another folkie from the past, Brian Doser. I won't put their pictures up here with lack of consent... it is just funny that such pictures exist in this life.

A lot of time has gone by since I was in college, and I have some friends just getting around to getting married, others just finally figuring out they never should have gotten married in the first place -- and others hatching babies. It's somewhat stunning to me. I still can't believe I have kids, much less that I'm married. Jebus!

I was looking at pictures (oooh-ing and aaah-ing) this morning of my old roomie Bonnie and her baby girl at the first birthday party of said baby (we missed it -- we were in Chicago) and I'm just stunned at her hipness and mommyness, all rolled into one.


Met with Prof MF today to finalize the site. Class runs on Thursday. Her dream of running the class with Cu-SeeMe may or may not be fully realized... we discovered a new FREE tool called ivisit.com, and started to test drive it this afternoon but she had to go to another meeting.

We'll give it a whirl this evening, or in the morning, and if it works well for the two of us -- we'll introduce it to the class on Thursday. They're meeting in person, and she'll go over the system requirements and the first class in person. So this could work. We shall see. I'm awfully apprehensive, but... willing to make it work. I have some final edits to the first week's content, which have got to be done tonight or first thing tomorrow. And then I'll be there in person to show the kids how to download the interface for ivisit.com and get them going.

Should rock, hopefully.

I spent a great deal of time chatting with two of the student employees at the college, one I used to work with and the other is new. From what I understand my being back and involved with faculty is causing quite a stir amongst my former administration. Some people are elated, nay, thrilled. Others are pissed. Imagine that... my coming and working for fucking next to nothing money has people pissed. Go Figger. I know who is pissed too, and I'm laughing. Be pissed. Go ahead -- be pissed. I'm an independent contractor now mother fucker! HA!

I've always wanted to say that.

I'm not back there to piss people off. I'm back there to work for (note the word FOR) a select few people whom I adore, admire, and want to see succeed. I'm not costing the college a red frigging cent. I'm there because I believe in what each of the two faculty members I am working with are doing. I want to see that fully realized.

Why should that piss anyone off? And anyway -- I really don't care if they are happy, unhappy, disgruntled, gruntled... I'm having a blast. I'm in it for ME. Put that in your pipe and smoke it long and hard. I'm there for me for a change -- and I have never been happier.


Recently, a reader and very close friend asked me why I don't have a dishwasher. I think I was pining over the fact I had work to do and that included doing dishes.

Simply put -- the house didn't come with one, and we don't have the space to put one in the kitchen, even a portable one that you roll over to sinkside to do the dirty (or cleaning) work. That got me thinking about my dream house... what would I want in my dream house? What must it have? The next place we live -- the non-negotiables.

So I'll lay that out for you here.

1. Dishwasher and kitchen that has enough counter/cupboard/storage space. Our current kitchen doesn't have enough countertop space or storage. It's a pain.

2. Access to the basement without leaving the interior of the house. Currently, to get to the basement and laundry, one must go outside and in through the bulkhead.

3. Four bedrooms. One for each kid, one for me and Doug, and an official "guest" room rather than our fold out couch. Our guests deserve that much

4. DSL or Broadband. Our stupid town doesn't have either. In this day and age. Really. I mean, Tess has it in Alaska for cripes sake! Jebus! I live in the heart of the big city -- the cradle of civilization. My town doesn't have DSL, Cable Modem, Broadband... anything. It sucks my big toe. So I swear to Gott im Himmel that is the first thing I ask a realtor in my next house search.

5. More land.

6. Not so close to the street -- I want a house back from the road. I'd rather have a longassed driveway than be up close to the street. Although, our house has ample parking for tenants, friends, friends who are deceased (Clayton's car is still in our drive...)

7. Two Big Bathrooms. We have two tiny bathrooms right now. I want two big assed mother humpin' lavatories. I want a sink to myself.

8. Laundry facilities on main floor of house -- rather than in the basement. I don't mind one flight of stairs coming up, so if my next house is a two flight jobbie and all my laundry facilities are in the basement -- that's a hell of a schlep to get the stuff up to actual drawers.

9. Wall to wall in living area. No more of this hardwood floor crap. Carpets can be shampooed -- hardwood flooring looks like ass when your dogs and kids have made a mockery of its existence.

10. Ample outlet availability throughout house.

And I think that's it. I'm sure I can come up with more shit. But that's my top ten wish list. I think we're here for the long haul though, so my wishlist may have to collect dust on a shelf someplace until further notice. Then perhaps I won't need four bedrooms, but just two. Sigh.


I got email from a stranger recently asking me why I hate Derek Jeter.

It has been a good long time since I've gotten any stranger email (outside of the awesome JulieK who sent me an email, but that's because I mentioned her in thanks here for neibelunging me).

Actually, the email said "why u hate derek jeter" as the subject line and the body of the text.

I hate Derek Jeter and AOL speak, but I didn't say that to her.

I wrote her back, saying that she obviously found the journal through a search and must have read the entry in question, but I went over my reasons, which appear elsewhere in the month of November.

She was really cool about it, and gave me my God given rights to have an opinion contrary to hers... thank goodness. And was even wicked funny and cool to write to. I was then shocked to find out that if you put "I hate Derek Jeter" in a google search my #59 amusing from November 1, 2001 comes up on the first page.

Anyway I wanted to just take a second and say that HATE is a really strong word, and looking back I don't know if HATE is what I meant.

Strongly dislike.

Find annoying.

HATE... no.

I'm sure Mr. Jeter is a really nice person. I'm sure if he wanted to have a beer (and I'd so make him pay for it because ... he's so rich, yet another reason to dislike him) I'd have a nice time talking to him. He's from the midwest, and he seems down to earth, except when he's playing so well and so amazingly and then he comes off to me as just plain cocky.

But confidence makes you cocky, and I dislike cockiness... so. That's how I came to the conclusion I hate him.

Plus, I hate winners. I hate the top of the heap. Hence, I so hate the Yankees. I'm a Red Sox fan for crying out loud. I'm supposed to hate them Yankees.

Jason Giambi... now he's the next person on my list. Oooooh I hate that guy...

Now I'll get email from people saying "Why u hate jsn giambi?"

So... Kathleen, if you're still reading the journal, thanks for dropping in.


Geoff is nagging me to allow him to play on the computer. I think Doug is napping. Jessie just got homework for the first time this semester... so she's off doing that. I'll relent here, go relax for a while, and come back at it for Professor MF. I still have work to do for CM, and that'll get done tomorrow while I have the day to myself.

I thank God I had the forethought to tell Cateringman I was unavailable this week. I have to knuckle down and finish my work for the college.

No comments:

Post a Comment