Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Little Projects Continue

Still cranking a way on projects.

This weekend, I completely scrubbed the kitchen floor. It started out as a little project, I was just going to sweep and maybe mop. But it quickly turned into a very big one.

While getting the floor swept, I noted our lower cabinets were kind of gross. I really noticed it when I came up one day from the back porch chill space, up the 4 steps into the kitchen as the morning sunlight was coming through the porch and up the stairs. Ugh.

White Ikea cabinets, man. They show every fleck of shit, and I hate them.

After sweeping the floor, and before I got the mop out, I ended up on my hands and knees (well, my butt really) with a toothbrush and toothpick scraping out the gaps and getting out all the crumbs and dog hair, and scrubbing the cabinet and drawer fronts to the point where it looked like the day we moved in.

What's on deck in little project land? 

1. I found some saved beer coasters from breweries we've been to, or from bars with craft beers. Several of the ones from Boston were in bad shape, so I pitched them and emailed Jess to ask them to be on the lookout.

In my brain I have a plan for a piece of reclaimed wood from the bottom of the box that my oven was delivered in, and a bunch of twine. I'm envisioning a grown up baby mobile of beer coasters. I even had Geoff buy me a hole punch so I could do the twine thing I want to do. I thought I had a lot more from the local Maryland breweries, but am not sure where those got to. I'll be looking through some drawers as part of the ongoing cleaning process.

2. I still have a few things in back porch chill space to do. The ladder has to get put away, some boxes need cleaned up. But this spot is coming along nicely. I am very happy to have this space!

3. There is a pile of things that need mended and sewn, including my beloved yoga pants! I'd replace them online at LL Bean, but they don't make these anymore (curses!) I found my sewing kit in a box, and am very happy to have it. I can fix buttons on shorts for both Doug and me, see if Geoff needs anything fixed. I've lost enough weight that my capri pants from the past couple of years could use just a little tuck in at the waistline, and I think I can manage that. In the other entry, I mentioned Geoff's pajama pants, but those are going into the fabric recycle bag. Maybe even the trash. They're too far gone.

4. I want to pull everything out of the spice cabinet, and reorganize it. Someone had put a honey bear into the cabinet upside down to get all the honey to the top, and that leaked everywhere, so my little basket where I keep the regularly used spices got stuck to the shelf. Even the little jars of spices all need to be washed. 

5. The pantry needs to be reorganized.

6. While I finished the cleaning off of the top of my bureau, there were several little boxes that were on the top that need sorted through. All kinds of treasures in there. We may even find beer coasters.

7. And then we can move to the basement.

8. I need Doug to finish building an Ikea bookshelf for me, then I can use Geoff's pent up bored energy to get boxes brought upstairs that I can unpack. That'll be a major victory!

My sights are set to those points so far, we'll get there, we'll get there.



No comments:

Post a Comment