Tuesday, June 02, 2020

End of lease

My property manager called me tonight to say that our lease expires at the end of July, and the property owners are looking to sell the property, so this is notice for us. 60 days.

I corrected her and said that we have a lease to the end of July 2021. Not this July. I provided her a screenshot of this as proof from our document section in her online portal for our property (an excellent tool, I may say).

I have not heard back from her.

But fuck all did this just send me into a whirlwind of absolute panic. What if they say "oh well, we'll buy you out of your lease." Or "nah, fuck you. we're selling the house." What recourse do tenants have? I don't even know. So now I'm hyperventilating, worried, freaking out.

This is so not like me, I'm usually the rational human in the face of most things especially if I am in the right but. What if.

What if. Oh my God what if. What if! WHAT IF!

I can't handle this right now. The entire world is on fire and we are in a pandemic and holy shit no.

There are a lot of pros in this, like, we have enough money in the bank for a first/last month for another rental. We also have enough money to pay movers. Which I will so do after the last move. We can actually manage. Maybe move somewhere more Country Mouse to make Geoff happy.

But I am freaking out because staying in "the county" is hard.  There are 2 properties in our zip code, both are 400.00 a month more than what we pay here. They are both in a nice part of town, but fuck me. Absolutely fuck me. I do not want to move and pay 400 bucks more a month.

And I am not happy with this. I'm not. I like it here!  I have my party porch. I've started to be friendly with my neighbors. This is a PERFECT HOUSE for us.

I tried to figure out what the going rate would be for this house and it is 500,000 for this neighborhood, so it isn't like we can buy it.

We have to move by the time our lease runs out. in 2021.

But.

What if the homeowner is like "hey we'll buy you out of your lease now." Which is what happened with my friend Janeen. And then the homeowner changed his mind and is staying overseas.

What the fuck.

I did a zillow search of the area in our price range and it's all not affordable. And we kind of need to stay in the county for Geoff to go to his academic program. Doug said he can start the program and we move out, and he just has to pay more which is alright right now because of the 529 program my mother in law has for the kids. If he has to pay out of county tuition, he's covered.

Right now I'm having a hard time not panicking. I've been happily making this my space and place. Between the back porch chill space and unpacking the books, I've been me-ifying my living space and this just feels like "no, fuck you" to me.

My big fear is Geoff, and making sure he's all set academically (which now the program is pushed from summer to fall for the start time) and I'm just exhausted from trying to think about where we can stay in the county that will work for him.

And work for our commutes.

I mean, my commute may never be back to DC if possible. And Doug will eventually maybe have to go back to Fairfax, but, if in the greater scheme of things could we live in Virginia?

And then I'm like no. Even northern Virginia is too conservative for me so no. I want to move back to Massachusetts at this rate.

I do not want to move. I am happy here. Why can't I just be happy?






No comments:

Post a Comment