Sunday, August 26, 2012

football season is upon us...

(Pictured here, Geoff in Green, #21, headed straight for the QB, number 3, right before he pounded him).

I'm not too excited about the Pats and Pretty Boy Tommy, this year for some reason. I am looking forward to Geoff's team, though. It's a mom thing. It's a pride thing. If he was in theater or band or a ping pong league I would be equally excited. I love this kid.

There is a small problem though. He's a Sophomore, and they have him playing on the Freshman team. Why? He hasn't been able to figure that out. But then again, he's probably been told exactly why but he isn't HEARING the answer so he says "Coach H hates me and wants me to suffer and burn in eternal hell for something that I did last year" (His words). We told him Coach H doesn't hate him and want to ruin his life, there has to be a reason. So we ask him... what did Coach H say to you. How did he explain it to you? And he can't give an answer because whatever the answer was or is, he didn't hear it. He is building his own mystery, and painting a house of blues.

I am positive the reasons are valid. Perhaps he is not ready to play with the older guys. There isn't a JV team this year, not enough kids. So there are freshmen, and there is Varsity. And he perhaps doesn't have the maturity.

Or, they don't have anyone big or strong enough to play defensive line? I saw the freshmen. I can't believe how small and wee they are.

I emailed and asked what the deal is, but have not gotten an answer. I don't want to be a nag to the program, I just need to know the answer (whatever it is, I accept it) so I can help him manage his disappointment. So I am hoping someone gets back to me. He wants to quit. He doesn't want to go and play or work out or be there. And it shouldn't be that way.

There was a scrimmage yesterday, evidenced by the photo above. The V team looks really good. Lots of excellent football for so early in the year. Doug and I sat with a mom of a Senior, and she said her son went through the same thing his sophomore year. He played on the Freshman team and hated it. But he did what he was told to do, followed the instructions. It was his second year playing football ever (Geoff had 3 years with the youth football league), so she said she thinks they perhaps thought it was necessary for him to get more fundamentals. Another dad said his son had the same thing. Both boys are seniors, and were out there making plays and doing great work. I watched the boy belonging to the woman next to me soar through the hair with the ball and rotate  to get just another yard. Great work! Great football!





The dad next to us said that he remembers his son had to suit up for his own games AND for the varsity games. Even though he never played in a Varsity game during his Sophomore year, he was required to be there. Dad said that it was frustrating, and his son wanted to explode with rage, to be giving up his Saturdays and his Thursdays (Freshmen play Thursdays) to go to a stupid game and stand there and do nothing. But ... two years later he feels his situation paid off.

There are some pros to this, if you ask me. First, the Freshman Coach is the same one as last year and Coach Matt really gets Geoff, and is kind of a great mentor to him. I love that he can work with him again. Also, games are on Thursdays, and Doug works from home on Thursdays. Last year he had a couple of games he missed because he was in Boston and couldn't just leave at 2pm to get over there to the game. So if Geoff's games are on Thursdays -- it will be great for daddy! Trying to see the silver lining here in all of the possible non-silver lining stuff, on Geoff's part.

My only real issue is the fee. If I'm paying the Sophomore Fee of 400 dollars and he's playing Freshman ball... I think that's bullshit. I really do. If he only gets to play one or two plays a game for 400 bucks, I'm going to be irritated. This is seriously the ONLY thing Geoff does aside from Boy Scouts, the only thing he wants to do, and if it is going to cost us an arm and a leg and all we have is anger and disappointment over it... hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment