Tuesday, October 28, 2003

New TV, Geocaching

Greetings.

It's been a few days yes. I've been hella busy at work now that S is gone and when I get home I don't really wish to be seated at the PC and working on anything. Plus, Geoff has discovered a new website with online games for kids, and he's been enjoying it. Rather than fight with him for control of the PC I've been enjoying our hugeassed TV.

Yes, the TV is huge and Jessie STILL has to sit on the floor 2 inches from it. Looks like she's going to crawl up Alton Brown's nose. She loves him. If he weren't older than I am and already married, she'd be knocking on his front door. Loooooves her some Alton Brown I tells ya.

So where do I begin... Well, I went to see BNL, you know that already. My sister and Andi went to see BNL with tickets that I bought through the fan club. Each of them wrote of the evening and how the show was less than stellar. Not the fault of the band, mind you... but the audience and the General Admission nature of the show. Here's hoping that Hartford is a much much better experience for us.

At Geoff's very first week of soccer, a couple of weeks ago now, I saw a woman who looked familiar to me. There was a girl who lived on my floor in college, and she dropped out after sophomore year. I always wondered what had happened to her. Well, I didn't see her again and thought that it was simply my mind pulling up references because the woman reminded me of this girl.

This past week I saw her again -- she was parked next to me, and was loading up her two kids. I took the chance and asked if she was who I thought she was and she said yes.

I stuck my hand out and said "You lived in Byington hall with me in 1984 and 1985. You lived in Thailand and would talk to your sister on the hall phone late at night. You were in a play where you had to kiss this guy and you said it was always gross because he smelled like chewing gum."

She turned white. Yes, that's me. How do you remember such detail? I told her I can't remember where my car keys are on a daily basis, but can remember minutae from 1984 with just one visual trigger. We talked for 15 minutes, until both our kids were whiney and wanted to be gone from the soccer field. She had left school and got a job, and never completed her degree, she married her husband, whom she met at work, and they have a kindergartener and a toddler. We talked a bit about college, some of the people we remember, our roommates (my Bonnie and Mary of the underwear) and exchanged phone numbers.

During freshman year, she vanished for a couple of months amidst speculation that she'd gone to have a baby. I don't know if it is true or not, and it is one of those things that you just don't want to ask someone ... "by the way, in the spring of 1985, did you..."

But if she did, she gave him/her up for adoption and that person is like 18 now. Hard to imagine. I have a hard enough time wrapping my head around the concept of having an 11 year old, I couldn't really fathom someone being 18. But there it is. We caught up and I don't know if we'll get the chance to talk again outside of soccer. I plan on giving her a call, to see if she would like to get together for coffee or something. She thanked me for seeking her out that way and said, "You know, I needed that." I'm not sure what that means. We shall see.


Saturday afternoon we went Geocaching. We were going to hook up with Chaos Factor and have a BBQ fest at his home, but miscommunication resulted in my not getting back to him, or having his phone number handy here at the house (duh). So we bailed at about 1pm when he hadn't called my neglectful ass yet, and we headed west, out to Barre, Hubbardston, Royalston area.

The area where we were caching is a wildlife management area, and we didn't have any safety orange with us. We did one cache on the midstate trail near the Barre Dam, and that was a safe area, but the next one was at an old abandoned prison foundation, and there were tons of hunters bobbing around with their orange hats and vests, and dogs with flash orange all over them. We left Jack and Kinger in the truck for that one. I think I will need to go purchase a few safety orange things before too long if we're going to be out anywhere this year that falls into that category.

The prison foundation cache was awesome. Spelunking through the rubble was a blast, and there were several other foundations and buildings all through the area. The view from the prison area was awesome -- and one could imagine the sadness and remoteness of such a place when it was active.

There was interesting graffiti on one of the buildings too. Not much to make note of, except these two well endowed ghosts.

Here are some non-boobie ghost pictures for your entertainment.

The abandoned garage. Painted in the back was "HELL" in giant letters. The Ware River water management area
Another shot of the Ware River water management area. Geoff enjoys his walk along the prison foundation wall.
Mom and Geoff pose with the Prison Cache. Mom and Geoff walking away from the prison cache, hoping not to get shot by small game hunters...
Milkweed in the breeze. Dad and Geoff walk ahead on the walls

Sunday was a stay at home and watch football day. It kept threatening rain, and we were going to go hide a Geocache, but we didn't want to get a mile out into the terrain and get trapped, so staying home was a better bet.

Of course, the rain didn't come. And daylight savings time screws us out of the hour in the evening that we could spend together hiking if it weren't for that stupid fact of life. I so wish that they'd do away with Daylight Savings Time. Gah.

Anyway -- that's about the major update from over here. Doug just got home so I'm going to make some dinner and get the family into the evening routine. More later y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment