Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Eyes, Rain, Camp No Fun, Baseball

Eyes
Geoff has an ophthalmologist (did I spell that whack title right? I always mispell that one and I'm too lazy to run spell-check) appointment today in Waltham, which is a million miles from here, so I'm not sending him to school today.

I was leaving the message on the school's voicemail he heard me. "WWWWWOOOOOOOOOO! DAY OFF! Yeah! Yeah! I get a day off! I get a day off!" he starts yelling... while I'm leaving the message.

I'm sure it will sound perfectly believable that he's going to the doctor...

but he is. honest. No, really. He is.

As many of you know (but my archives aren't up to prove it) G's been seeing an eye doctor since he was 15 months old.

His vision is pretty bad, but with the glasses he can see pretty well. This particular doctor insists on seeing him over and over ever four months, rather than saying "okay, he doesn't need surgery after all, so you can go back to seeing your local pediatric ophthalmologist conveniently located near your house!"

So we make the trek down there for a 10 minute visit. With the waiting room wait, it's a total of a three hour trip. Screw school today. I'll just keep him home this morning, take it easy, do dishes, move laundry around, shower and then head out for the ride. Thank God my boss is uber cool and lets me take the time off as I need.


Rain
And it is pouring out, so our ride should be less than fabulous. The rain woke me up twice last night and freaked the dog out. Add to that the fact the wind is blowing like John Coltrane, and it's a madhouse out there. Although the radio weather guy says that this is all stopping to our west right now and in the next hour or so should be completely gone.
That's good.

Nothing I hate more than highway driving in Massachusetts with weather as a factor. Not because I hate the weather, but because of other drivers. Some think nothing of the wet road conditions or the high winds, or the ice and snow, and drive as if I-95 is pristine and dry. Others white-knuckle the steering wheel and crawl along as if they will explode in a firey confligration if they go faster than 40 miles an hour on the highway.

That leaves me and anyone else with common sense (all three of those drivers) on the road surrounded by danger. Slowassed losers in front of us, Mario Andretti ripping asphalt behind us. And nowhere to go.

I'll need a lot more coffee before I leave here today.


Camp No Fun (due to the weather, not the fact that camp is, indeed, no fun)
I took Jessica to drop her off at school very early Tuesday so they could depart for their camping trip. Once again thanks to all who bought raffle tickets. The drawing is Thursday.

All of the kids were insanely excited. I totally forgot how wired a group of sixth graders can be, even at 7am facing a 2 hour bus ride.

With the pouring rain, I'm sad for the kids at adventure camp. I know that they have an indoor itinerary for bad weather days, but they are out there in the woods to BE OUT there in the woods. So indeed, may the rain stop, the skies clear, and the resplendent weather of south western New Hampshire be revealed to a bunch of sixth graders who could care less. Except my daughter, who'll show them what for when it comes to orienteering in the woods when they do that.

You go girl.


Baseball
The Red Sox lost yesterday against the Yankees and not-so-friendly Fenway, so they return to the Bronx to hang out with Jenny from the Block and hopefully not get their asses kicked too badly.

Thing that I can't believe though is that the Cubs blew it.

When I went to bed they were winning. Then, the eighth inning rolled around and the Cubs went into hibernation, allowing the Marlins time to spear them with their nasty fish spikey noses and win the game. I wake up with a whole hearted "Wha fuh?" because of them. Serves me right for going to bed I guess. Serves Doug right for turning off the game and watching Road to Perdition.

In watching last night's Sox/Yankees game, I have to let you know I don't want to say this outloud and I'm going to lose all my street cred as any sort of self respecting Sox Fan/Yankee hater, but... Derek Jeter, whom I loathe beyond belief, well, the boy's a great fielder.

I'll give him that.

I'd still like to smack that smirky look off his face with a hard wet fish, just smack it right off there, but I need to give him props and say... good job. Jerkbag.

After the game they interviewed him, and he had no clue that there was a possibility they'd be playing at 4pm. His look of surprise was entertaining. He's like a friggin' muppet those faces he makes. I laughed.

Had the Cubs won last night, it'd be an 8pm game for the ALCS. But we'll know before 8pm whether it stretches out to 7 or if the series is over with a Yankee win.

I'd like to see it go to 7. It's been fun watching.

I don't watch baseball during the regular season. Not because I'm not a fan... it's too much. There are like five games a week for each team, and the season starts in April or some crap like that... it's way way way too much. So by late in September, things are shaping up the way they should be, there are wild card berths to compete for, sometimes the division is sewn up by a team (usually the Yankees...) and it gets interesting.

From April to September it's like Pre-Season to me.

I know, I'm a loser. But I'm not the only one who thinks this way. I know that for a fact.


In Closing
Alright. Gotta get a move on over here. Geoff is watching the Snorks on Boomerang. Enjoying it fully, I might add. Boomerang is great, because it's all cartoons I used to watch, and to my kids it's all fresh and new, so they don't have Top Cat and Underdog episodes memorized the way they do with the Simpsons and Spongebob. So it's kind of nice to hear fresh laughter. Even though the Snorks totally suck. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment