Sunday, September 18, 2005

Grandma's got a brand new bag

We went down to see the new residence which my parents will call home hithertoforth. It's a really nice little place, very shady, neighbors seem friendly, and I have to say that this is going to be a really good move for them. My dad is reserved and not too excited, compared to the giddy schoolgirl my mom is as she ran through the place showing it off to us and going over her plans.

34 years in the same shit-hole ghetto projects and she's got the pent up energy and excitement that goes into a new homeowner. We're moving this, those are getting changed, this is where this will go, I found a computer desk that fits PERFECTLY in that little corner alcove...

It was a fun visit. My uncle K and auntie B were there. They've been helping my parents with all kinds of things, bringing them around, hosting them before the purchase was solidified. We don't get to see them often, and this was a really funny visit. My uncle K cracks me up, and he's always got a good one to drop out on the table and make everyone laugh.

Geoff said to us in the truck "I never knew that uncle before, and he's such a nice guy! I really like him!"

Again I had all those conflicting feelings about how I never see our family a lot, or enough, and had a touch of sadness balanced with the knowledge that we just aren't close and that is just the way it is. I have a feeling now that Grandma and Grampa are living up this way that there may be more frequent sightings of these folks. We shall see.

And, on the way home it took us an hour and 20 minutes to get back. Not bad at all. It was easy as pie to get there too, which is very nice. I want to investigate the area more. My mom is the kind of person where I asked her what the downtown of her new hamlet was like and she said "I have no idea." I was shocked -- that would be one of the first places I went to visit if I was buying a house somewhere.

We think differently, I guess.


Today's agenda is a little different than most weekend days. Geoff's cub scout den is planting a tree. One of the boys in the den lost his mom to cancer two years ago. The den and the dad decided that since "cub scouts give goodwill" they would do this together.

I am on the outside of this little group (surprise) because they all knew one another, all the moms and dads, from pre-school. Geoff didn't go to pre-school and Kindergarten in this town, so the boys in the den have a tighter bond, and so do the parents. We're going beacuse it is the first thing the den is doing this year, and because Geoff gets Bear Credits for doing something like this. I'm down with that. And just because I didn't know her doesn't mean I don't care about her son and how he's growing and shaping. He is in Geoff's class, and I think it is important that they have this kind of moment in their lifeline together.

Hopefully it won't rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment