Friday, September 02, 2005

I hate you Walt Freakin' Whitman...

I knew someday I would be. Someone picked up on one of our Flickr.com pictures and featured it in their journal. RadioOpenSource used (with permission) our Doug doing Homer Simpson imitation for their latest piece on Walt Whitman. Click here to read, and to listen if you want to. Now, our ongoing passion regarding all things Simpson and the fact I grew up in Huntington has FINALLY paid off! Wooo!


Today I am working from home. I have spreadsheets, floorplans and tons of stuff to do. Finalizing yet another chain for installation. I like having this opportunity to be at home... especially when unleaded gas is $3.29 a gallon. I can't find it any cheaper in our direct neighborhood. And it seems to be totally arbitrary. One station is $3.29 and across the street is $3.50. Who decides? Why the huge difference? Does a back rub and foot massage come with the $3.50 because I tell you what -- it should!

I'm disgusted with what is happening in New Orleans... I'm so sad for the people there and the painfully slow response FEMA and other agencies are exhibiting. I was listening to the mayor of NO on the radio this morning blaming everyone but his own administration for the chaos. No blaming the cops who themselves are looting, no blaming of anyone in his administration for not providing transport out of town for those lacking. The president's response is uninspiring. Politicians continue their vacation instead of running back to the capitol where they belong to work on things...

This is serious down there people! The fact that families on high ground are taking in people because there is nowhere else for them to be shows me that you can indeed rely on the kindness of strangers, but it seems to me like the folks who are supposed to spring to action are standing there numb. "Hurmmn. Will ya look at that. Jeezh, that's a mess." Um, yeah...

We're going camping again. We're leaving tomorrow. I need to get to work again, having worked a bit this morning and now am waiting for the batteries on the laptop to recharge. I made reservations for us at Allis State Park in Vermont... Hopefully we'll stay dry this weekend.

Oh -- and I love Amy's quote on the sidebar there. It somehow makes me think of Stewie Griffin. "Damn you Starbucks!" Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment