Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Ten Songs I'm Digging at the moment...

Here's what I'm digging:

1. Fix You by Coldplay
"And the tears come streaming down your face when you lose something you can't replace." I'm driven to think of S & V and the loss of Gracie. Also my daughter's best friend K who had brain surgery this summer and her vision is NOT going to return. She only has 12% of her visual field and it isn't looking like she will return to public school this year. Her parents are devastated as is she, and the greater circle, the friends of K, the families -- we are all very sad. This song is short, hauntingly lovely, builds to a mad crescendo and ends with Chris Martin and a piano, very sadly.

2. God Says Nothing Back by The Wallflowers
Same reasons as above. Very heartbreaking. Jakob Dylan is a genius. Why they are playing County Fairs in California this summer is beyond me. They are just amazing. Amazing.

3. Sin Nombre by The Refreshments
A very sad song about a cowboy, bad decisions, and dark deep longing performed beautifully by Alt Country's finest band (in my opinion). I'm sad they broke up but am very glad that Roger Clyne continues on with his Arizona Peacemakers.

4. Wilted Rose by The Vanity Project
Steven Page's (Barenaked Ladies) side project, this song required some research for me to understand what he was getting at. It's very political and very Canadian. Two things I'm not. But I love Steve's voice and his symballant (sp? not sure) S at the end of certain words. Very sexy.

5. Landed by Ben Folds
Watching friends break up from the sidelines right now, and this song is very much in the forefront of my mind.

6. Pacing the Cage by Bruce Cockburn
"Sunset is an angel weeping, holding out a bloody sword." Cockburn is a lyrical genius, and the simple presentation of him with just the guitar is gorgeous. Also ties in to my "Tell me why" by Neil Young feelings from yesterday's entry. When having existential crisis, do not listen to this song.

7. Fade to Black by Metallica
Early Metallica beats the holy living crap out of new lack-of-guitar Metallica. Any day. And this is their finest. When I want to drive excessively fast, I listen to this.

8. Beetle (Big as Can) by Staind
Yes, a goof cover recorded live on the Howard Stern show a few weeks ago. Staind was live in the studio and put ten minutes in on an interpretation of Beetlejuice's theme song. I was scanning on the dial and heard Howard introduce them coming into the studio. I stayed to listen because I really enjoy Staind, and knew this could be really funny. Beetle's version is a happy go lucky ditty. Staind took it and made it sad, really painful. Is Beetle really big as can and knows he's the best? I hear this song and it is stuck in my head for hours. Aaron Lewis has the sweetest voice, and the band does an amazing job with this stupid song.

9. Wordplay by Jason Mraz
White boy pop-rappers, lookout. While Ed from BNL is still the master of the funky fast fresh rhyme by a white boy with a guitar, Jason is chewing on his heels. I'd like to see a throw down rhymin' challenge with the two of them. As with the last song, hearing this for a second gets it stuck in my head. And I can sing along with it, even when he goes fast. I can't do that with Ed on "One Week," especially the clubs you know the kind with tiny nubs just so my irons aren't always flyin' off the backswing.

10. What About Everything? by CarbonLeaf
Bunch of guys from Virginia sound like they are from Ireland, and they have gorgeous harmonies and clever lyrics. Love this song -- and highly recommend them to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment