Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Steady on, Gromit!

So the streak of torrential rain continues into the beginning of the week... This weekend saw rain like I haven't seen in months, and it's about time. We had a really dry September, August and July, after a hugely wet June. It will be nice to hear the creek sing for a couple of days before it gets too cold to sleep with the windows open.

After it poured sheets of rain on Saturday, preventing us from even taking the dog out for longer than a quick squat, and spending the day Sunday watching football and more football and some bullriding and then some football, and Monsters Inc and some more football and the news followed by some football, I realized I could not spend one more second in this house with these people on Monday.

We opted for the movies.

We were going to go into Boston for a visit to the Museum of Science, but we opted against it because we knew everyone with a kid out of school for the holiday was going to be there. We opted for Wallace And Gromit, bought our tickets through Fandango, and headed to the theatre.

I'm not sure I like Fandango, or at least I don't like the theatre we went to and how they handle it.The ticket printer kiosks were all out of paper, there wasn't a soul anywhere who knew how to refill it. And the ticket man, a kindly older gentleman, couldn't figure out how to scan the printout directly (like it says on the print out that he can do) so we almost didn't get seats in the theatre.

A rainy day matinee on a school holiday combined with the biggest kids movie to splurt out onto screens in years meant the place would be packed, and we cut it close by trying to save time. Not so good.

Geoff and Jess love Wallace and Gromit, so it was well worth the trip even though noisy family in front of us would not shut up and their kids didn't get any of the jokes at all "What did he say?" "Why is that funny?"

It was exhausting.

Last night, the Steelers played Monday Night Football and it was a doozy of a game. I wanted them to be winning convincingly by the half so I could just go to bed, but that was not happening. At the end of the third quarter, Doug and I looked at one another and said "this is too good a game to give up on now! We're in to the end!" and we watched to the finish.

I don't think I have stayed up for a Monday night game in YEARS... and this one was well worth it, although I'm exhausted and need more caffeine. I'm sure Steelers Nation is with me in wishing Ben Roethlisberger the best after he took a direct hit to the knee in the final minute of the game and had to be carted off. I hope it is a simple case of hyperextension and that his knee isn't blasted into oblivion... like it looked.

Today will find me half asleep by 3pm. Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment