Thursday, February 11, 2021

Boxing Day, of sorts


I have been slowly packing for weeks. I took today and tomorrow off to really knuckle down on the fragile items and the things Doug and Geoff (hopefully Doug, as he's injured his shoulder) will carry. Geoff just started packing. I can hear him bumping all around down there. Doug has a big thing at work going on, so I'm leaving him off the hook for any packing right now. 

The fine glasses, Fostoria and some claret glasses or something which I can't remember the name of, are all getting a loving wash before getting packed. In the next house we don't have a hutch or storage unit. All of the houses we've lived since the brown house have had wonderful display cabinets built in, so the Noritake china, the frou frou drinky things, all could be on display like "we fancy, look at this martini glass with a monkey etched in it."

Everything glass and china related is getting labeled "Extremely Fragile" to remind D&G to not just chuck things into the jeep like you would a 90 pound box of books. Exercise extreme care. It's also going to the basement because we have to find (and agree upon) a hutch. It is also being labeled "Basement Storage" where it will be kept until we figure out what to do, what to do.

At least Doug is amenable to this. One of the things we are at odds on is the double-entry to the kitchen. One door from the living room and another from the dining room. One of those openings would be a really fantastic floor to ceiling blocked pantry cabinet on the kitchen, and then on the other side (I'm thinking the living room door is best for this, a bookcase of the same dimensions. There's not a lot of storage in this kitchen, and I just feel like I would like to block the entry to the kitchen from the living room up with a piece of furniture. 

Doug is all "pah, no." 

But I think we'll get in there and he will see the truth of my thoughts and feelings when he can't find a stock pot, because I've put it in the basement. 

We also have like 2 of everything. We have about 6 sheet pans for baking. I like baking. If we had one sheet pan out, I bet I'd find myself frustrated when Geoff makes pizza rolls and then I go to bake something and the sheet pan is in the damn sink covered with bits of baked on Totino's Combination Supreme goo. 

So 6 of them is great! 

Looking at the photo above, we (I, tbh) also have a lot of tchotchkes and sentimental things that we (again, I) just love. Do we need them? They do spark joy, so chucking them is not really an option in my mind. But do they need to be on display? Then if you think about it, if they're not out on shelves where you can see them, then what is the point of keeping them really? Why? It's a pickle, friends. Possibly next move I'll get rid of some things, but the Nobska lighthouse from my mom, and the Keytar Bear beer cans, well. 

Hmmm. Not yet. 

Right then. Back to it. In the meantime, the Kids are ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment