Saturday, January 30, 2021

Movers, Packing, Snow, Twitter, Jeep, Booze!

I got up early this morning  (early for me is 9am on a Saturday) after not being able to fall asleep last night thinking about all the things. 

I had a super busy week, not enough time to really think about the move. Until I went to bed, tried to sleep, and failed miserably. 

Doug wants us to move fully on the 15th, I kind of want to wait until the 19th when Geoff doesn't have class so we can make sure we have the internet situation all set. 

One moving company can't move us until the 19th, which would play into my plan but I think the packing and moving would be 900 dollars more with them than it would for the other company that can come the 15th. 

The company that can move us on the 15th said to pack up as much as we want and that will lessen the costs. 

No one comes out to do an estimate for you - it's all online. I hate this part. I really have a hard time estimating things like X amount of boxes we'll need. So my brain hurts. I probably over-estimated boxes and am under-estimating everything else. 

 Doug has an online conference to attend Thurs/Fri and a bunch of serious heavy duty project meetings starting on the 23rd so he is amped to get moved, get settled. Nothing disrupts my life schedule so I have to just look at the two of them and try to figure out what works the best for both of them. Geoff is going to find out if he can use the college internet and go down in person for when he has class, just in case the internet situation is not stable between the two houses.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed. 

I took the Thurs/Fri off before we get the keys and the Mon/Tues off after. I can adjust anything, but I think that I'm going to end up doing a lot here. A Lot. 

Anyway, we're supposed to get a "Major Snowstorm!" here starting late tonight. They are calling for 4-8 inches of snow, which is the fucking snowpocalypse by the way everyone is acting on Twitter. 

I'm kind of like, that's any given Tuesday north of Boston but okay DC, you do you. 

I posted something on twitter about the approaching storm, and some rando came at me. First time in almost 10 years of using that platform... I think I said something like "major snowstorm coming, DC panics over possibility of 4 inches while Bostonians drink iced Dunks in their cargo shorts with 36 inches coming." 

The person (dude?) went off about how there are NO INDICATIONS of 36 inches coming to Boston and basically that I should shut up. 

"I'm being hyperbolic. Thanks for your feedback!" was my response. Like. Read the tweet dude. The only thing you got caught up on was the 36 inches? Not all the Bostonians wearing cargo shorts? Did you fail reading comprehension in 4th grade, friend? 

Jesus.

I've had it with the internet overall but stuff like that just cracks me up. 

Our Jeep is in the shop. So we don't even have a vehicle right now (2nd car has been off the road for months due to the power steering dying). 

Geoff went to the store on Thursday to get a couple things after his class was over. He tried to start the Jeep in the parking lot to come home, and the battery clicked in but the jeep wouldn't start. We just had the starter replaced, so I was stymied, told him to call AAA and take it to our mechanic. 

Mechanic reports that the battery is great, the starter is great, but that a piece of the steering column had fallen off, and gotten lodged in the starter. He said he never would have found this in a short time if it had not been for one of his employees who had the exact same problem with his Jeep. Diagnosed in 5 minutes. Part ordered. 

But the part got delayed, and now isn't supposed to arrive until Monday. If we survive the snowpocalypse of 4 inches, maybe the car will be ready Monday. 

So we have no food. We have cheese and bread so we an have tuna melts. That's good. 

We have 2 chicken breasts, I can do something with those. We have some leftover fajita meat that someone can eat but not enough for all three of us. We have eggs.  We have a bag of onions so I can make french onion soup (miraculously, we have a brick of gruyere cheese in the fridge so it will be good - just no french loaf for the fancy crouton. Can't be fancy, I guess). 

We have a little pinot grigio, some vodka. Geoff's got a liquor cabinet down in his closet (not kidding) so if anyone needs rum or bourbon... he's been buying kind of high-end things and becoming a connoisseur of the spirits. 

Me: [Surprised to discover the collection when I went to his room one day to find the breaker panel for the electricity] Dude, why do you have all this booze here? What are you doing?
Geoff: Let's just say I think it's ... neat.

Oh awesome, a booze joke.  

Doug thinks we're fine, the Jeep will be ready Monday. But if we get snowpocalypse maybe never. 

God, I love DC.

Anyway, stuff to do. Things to pack. Freaking out to be had. yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment