Monday, April 11, 2022

Crankopotomus

Man, I've been cranky this week. 

Doug has been even MORE cranky, so it has taken a lot of my energy to deal with his crankypants. I've avoided bothering him. Avoided him. Any thing we try to talk about he just makes a face and doesn't want to talk about it.  

I feel like I'm always capitulating to what someone else wants. Or needs. I'm always making space for other people. I just do it naturally. But right now I'm crannnnn-kay!  And I am feeling selfish. Which isn't like me at all. 

I went into the kitchen to get water, opened the back window, and someone was using a leaf blower in the driveway behind my house. Get a broom, motherfucker. 

I closed the window and doug took meat out to grill. I went up front and opened the window in the living room. Someone across the way was mowing the lawn. It's 7pm dude stop. Wait until Saturday. I closed the window.

Can I get some quiet. Earphones in. Music on. Drown out the world. 

I'm dealing with one team member who feels she deserves more, and wants a raise and promotion. Can't say as I blame her, you've been here 18 months. It took me 5 yrs. Can you be patient and realize you can't get a raise and promotion into a position that does not exist? We had a long talk. I don't want to dissuade her but I want her to be realistic. Another coworker is not doing well mentally. I'm actually very worried about her. 

But I'm manager to neither of them. I can be a good listener but sometimes, I just want to scream that I have a lot of wants too, so when can I have mine. Feeling completely irritated, the stupid questions from my job continued to annoy the hell out of me too. 

After dinner, I got a text from a friend of mine in NH asking me if I liked living here or if I had any regrets. 

This is out of the blue? 

Yeah, I guess? Why you ask? She asks if we can talk. Oooooooo. Okay. A distraction to me being a grumpy gus! 

Her husband has a job offer 1 town north of here and they are weighing their options. This would be his "dream job" and the pay is stupid good compared to what he's getting now. He has a great job, so I can't imagine what they'd be paying him. She had questions about here, what our thoughts were. And I told her that "real talk" is that I'm not in love but I don't hate it, and there are so many things I do like about being here, that anything I'd find to gripe about is just basic and silly. 

Except the heat. That's legit. She told me the address of her husband's new job, and it is literally straight up the road a few miles. 15 minutes from our front door. She asked about our neighborhood and the other neighborhoods around. I told her where was good, and we both commented on one house on Zillow that had the refrigerator in the living room, and we'd both seen it. Hilarious. 

It was so nice to talk to her, and to realize that they'll be coming here, and hopefully living VERY close to us. It has shaken me out of my boooooo-ness. 

What an unexpected gift. 


When I started this blog, M was married to Aaron, as you may remember. And we had shit tons of fun. Then, they divorced, Aaron lives in Oregon now.  M is remarried and we're still good friends, and we love her husband who is also an M. This picture is from 2014 from the NH beerfest we attended together. It's cute as hell. 

I look forward to taking them to breweries here in MD and writing about it in the beer blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment