Saturday, April 23, 2022

Getting The Things Done

 Doug took Geoff to an open house at a community college in Virginia today. I was going to go with, and bring the dog, and kind of walk around with him but I felt it'd be better if I stayed here and cleaned. I feel like I don't clean for weeks and then I clean a lot. And I'm happier. 

I'd love to pay for a housecleaner once a month to just deep clean the living crap out of the place but Doug doesn't like the idea of a stranger in our house "touching our things." I'm like.... I am perfectly okay with that. Let's go. But no. 

So I stayed home, and did a lot. 

Today's accomplishments:

  • Stripped the bed and guest bed, washed the sheets, redressed the bed
  • Washed the bath mats and shower curtains*
  • Put all the winter things in the closet
  • Repotted a spider plant that was in very sad shape, and I hope it will be happier
  • Watered all the other plants
  • Vacuumed the 2 area rugs in the living room and dining room 
  • Swept the kitchen and hardwood floors
  • Found 2 milk crates and made a little shelf dealie on my "desk" which I don't use to put more books on and make it look office-ier
  • Put the last of the christmas shit away (it was sitting in the dining room on the floor behind the table)
  • Cleaned the dining room table because it was gross
  • Cleaned the microwave
  • Folded the baskets of laundry 
  • Spent time in the yard with Phineas. It was a very nice day

What I wanted to do:
  • Mop
  • Clean the stove top and the fronts of the cabinet (they messy)
  • Dust the everything. Did most of it when I was sweeping and then grabbed the swiffer to do some obvious things, but didn't get it all
  • Clean my bedroom

*The asterisks indicates there is more to this. 

I usually grab Geoff's bath mat and our bath mat, and throw in a couple towels once a month. Grab the bleach, let them soak... you know. Get super clean and nice. I went to get Geoff's bath mat and took a look at his shower. Desperately needs to be cleaned, but I'll get him to do that and supervise a bit. So I pulled his shower curtain and liner down because it was super gross - kind of moldy/mildewy at the bottom. Figured I'd soak this all together. 

So in every washing machine there's that little space to dump your bleach in, at the top edge of the washer. I filled that with about a cup of bleach, and watched it start to drain in as the water was filling. Then, I realized the bleach was coming out the bottom of the washer, onto the floor, and onto my feet. Nice. 

I grabbed one of the towels that wasn't fully soaked yet, cleaned my feet up and started to wipe up the bleach. Everything smells nice and clean downstairs now - hot hot water and bleach all over the floor, smells like I did a lot of scrubbing.  

I poured a bunch of bleach directly into the washer, I usually do it that way but opted to go with the built in bleach delivery service. And it was a failure. And derailed some of my work. But I survived. 

Tonight I'm very looking forward to sliding into the clean bed sheets after a shower. Can't get into the clean bed being as dirty as I feel after cleaning all day. That'd be a crime. 

All the windows are open, it is cool and comfortable, and I'm ready to be done for the day. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Allegedly, it's going to be hot. So we'll see what happens.





No comments:

Post a Comment