Saturday, June 06, 2020

We charge our phone at 2am

I think I've slept through the night once during the last two months.

First, I tend to drink a lot of liquid in the evening (I do during the day too, but I switch from water to wine or in the case of this evening, gin & tonic). Drinking a lot of liquid means you gotta get up and pee, at least once.

I had cut back drastically on drinking alcohol, and then in late April kind of picked it up again. I'm trying very much to go back to not drinking on "school nights." Seltzer and lemon in my near future.

Second, my dog wakes up. Most of the time she'll wake up, stand up, pace. Her nails on the hardwood wake me up. I take her out. She sometimes pees, she sometimes poops, she sometimes does both and, she sometimes does neither but spends an excessive amount of time just walking about. Doot doo dooo, like ya do.

Tonight she tried to get up off the floor repeatedly, managed to skootch herself forward into the bedroom closet, and pooped herself.

The good thing is the poops she makes are really nice and solid. So they are very easy to clean up. Yay, Brodie! Good poops.

The bad thing is we still have to pick up the poop. And by we, I mean me. She is no help. And Doug either sleeps through this or ... pretends he is not hearing any of it.

So I did all that. I lifted her up to standing, located the poops, got them cleaned up, got the spray cleaner out and sprayed the floor. Now my bedroom smells like bleach, which is pleasant to the nose as one is attempting to fall back asleep. But it is better than lingering poopstink.

Third, the brain won't turn off. Between work, and the pandemic my mind is constantly on the happenings out in the world. Sometimes it is around 12:30am when I wake up, and I realize Geoff is not home yet from work and I start to worry and panic. If the weather is bad, I especially panic because he's driving home down 95, and people around here drive horribly. So I'm afraid my careful country mouse is going to get rear ended by a speed racer as sheets of rain are falling and there is hydroplaning and it is a disaster on the beltway with my kid in the midst.

I usually can fall back asleep when he gets home, but then pretty much right after is when Brodie starts her flopping.

This morning, he came home and I didn't even hear him. Sometimes he is stealthy, other times he's a bull in the china shop. I've had to come out and tell him he does not need to unload the dishwasher at 1:30am. Or he is watching TV (he pulls a chair up right in front of the screen and plays the audio super low so as not to wake us but he will laugh and that's always something that gets me up.

So, as you can see, I sometimes end up wide all the way awake. I play games on my phone until brain stops and eyes want to close.

Tonight while playing my fave game (I had 3 hours of unlimited life) I noticed my phone's battery was at 11%, and also realized I'm on call for work. That's not a good combination. Can't have a dead phone if someone calls the emergency line at like 3am.

The phone could probably stay on until morning if it is at 11%, but... then I can't play games until my brain turns off.

So here I am in the living room with the phone on the charger and surfing the web, reading twitter, waiting. We're up to 78%, I can probably go to bed again, safely.

Watch me go in, get comfortable, and the dog begins her next phase of up and aboutness.

The only other news from here is the introduction of these bad boys...



Doug's ongoing terrarium project has some new residents. A couple weeks ago he ordered snails, and they finally arrived. There are 12 of them, and this curly boi showed up to eat! His plants have been growing algae and it was getting kind of rough looking in there, so these friends will help clean up the interior and get everything back to green. I hope. Doug keeps showing me all these pictures of these gorgeous tanks and I'm like, oh honey. Your tank is not looking like that and I do not know if it will ever...

But he said these guys are the key to the healthy balance of the ecosystem. We shall see how they do. In the meantime, they're fascinating to watch. A few of them, not just this friend, set to work eating immediately. But there are a few still floating at the top of the tank. They seem to be moving but they're not doing the snail things we expect. Doug will evaluate as needed.

Okay... 93% and we're all set. All of us humans are awake now. I can hear Geoff bumping around downstairs, Doug just got up to go to the bathroom.

And the dog is fast asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment