Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Yet... another... category four kill storm

You may be wondering just where the hell have I been?

Monday, yesterday, today, and Friday I am Catering Girl. Faithful and loyal sidekick to Catering Man. Preparing Crab Duexelle Mushroom Caps and Canapes. Wrapping baskets of tastefully assorted crackers. Skewering artichoke hearts and chicken strips, breading them and making them shine as only a handmade appetizer can.

He's had no business for weeks, and now -- boom. Holiday parties up the ying yang. They changed their policy where they won't cater anything smaller than 50 people, so all the jobs are bigassed. The smallest one was tonight, and it was a favor to a customer who only needed hors d'ouevres for 30, and they only needed them dropped off, no serving staff or anything. So that's easy money for Cateringman.

I hadn't worked for him for weeks, and forgot everything. Today I screwed up the premixing of salt and pepper by using hand cracked black pepper instead of table grind.

Duh?

Anyway. It's been fun working again, and I'm nowhere near as sore as I was when I started working for him this past spring. I missed Lisa and Chris. The dishwasher Hodgie makes me laugh my ass off. Mr. Mysogynist is gone -- he took a job as a regional sales rep for a company based out of Texas, so he moved. Chris and I have a side bet on when he'll come back after the sales weasel money dries up and the company goes out of business (like the last one he worked for).

Cateringman will keep us all busy for a couple of weeks and then whamo -- it'll all stop until April. He's going to Aruba for a while, and then Tuscany for most of the month of March. Must be nice, eh? [grin].

He deserves it though -- he works hard running the business and riding my ass about not wrapping things tightly enough or not chopping evenly enough. The business has grown like mad, thanks in no part to me, and he deserves a big break.

Yesterday I cut my left thumb to shit, for the first time in months and months I injured myself at work. I was fine chopping scallions for the pasta station, and had the bunch of scallions pinched together tightly in my left fingers... chop chop chop chop. Ouch, God Bless America!!! I clipped the inside of my thumb (closest part to the index finger) with the butt end of the knife, which in Cateringman land is just as sharp as the tip.

I'm hardcore though. I busted ass and worked through the pain. And seeing as I've been saving the world in time for the buffet to be served, I've been a tired little girl. I was grumpy when I got home. Doug let me take a nap in the bedroom (normally he retires to the boudoir but this time stayed on the couch and watched TV and snoozed) and he ordered pizza. So effectively I had the night off from being mom. A beer and "24" later I felt a bit better, but I slept like the dead last night.

There hasn't been much to report. I have no witty anecdotes, haven't done any Christmas shopping. We still don't know if Doug's parents will be coming up to join us for Christmas or not, so I don't know what to plan for the holiday. It's kind of frustrating, because I have 2 weeks to pull Christmas out of my big fat ass for everyone.

I still haven't heard from the college job. I got called by a recruiting agency who found my resume on Monster.com and wanted further info on where I was looking to work, salary requirement, etc. So that was kind of nice.


Friends of ours got a new dog. They already have a schnauzer, and had a bulldog too but due to some aggressive behavior problems and somewhat unpredictable biting they gave him up to some folks in New Hampshire who would be better equipped to deal with him.. Both of them were devastated, to say the least, to give away their baby. He was a good dog -- but something recently screwed with his mind and altered his perceptions of small people (ie kids...). Seeing as they were bummed, they decided they needed another puppy. This is Carrie's Christmas Present:

Meet Axel.

I had suggested Figgis as a name. A friend of mine named her dog Figgis (a Boxer) and it is just the funnest name to say. "C'mere, Figgisssssss" it just sounds so funny. But they changed their minds when they met him. He is SO CUTE! I can't wait to go get some puppy love from him. Look at that little face, and that nose. Oy. To die for. Love him. Eat him up yum.

Not that my dog isn't good enough or something... Jack rules. And he's still a puppy so he's still got that puppy sweetness about him. New puppies and new babies just make me melt.

So a special welcome here to Mr. Axel. Be good to your momma and dadda, wouldya?


Speaking of being good, right now I'd like to draw attention to my sister. She hates when I do this... but I feel the need.

I was talking to Aaron and he said that he didn't have a camera to take with him to Antarctica. If I were working full time, I'da bought him a camera that day, but I am concerned with our finances over the next couple of weeks and months, so I couldn't just run out and buy him one. And I didn't want to LOAN him my camera, because I use it all the damn time. I'm lost without it.

So I called my sister.

She has a digicam, and she doesn't use it too too much. I figured she may be willing to loan it to him.

Not only was she willing to loan the digicam, but she also told me she has an Advantix camera so he can take cool panoramic shots of Antarctica where he'll be, so she threw that in. And, she is throwing in a couple rolls of film.

AND she offered to have him send her the film to get it developed where she goes because she's got some super discount dealie thing.

So, let's recap here -- sister asked for small favor of loaning camera. Returns with far more than expected response in the form of two cameras and some mother fucking film. Goes beyond that with offer to develop for discount.

She is, by far, the NICEST PERSON EVER. I was floored by her willingness to help out and her total givingnessnessness. She Rules.

So all bow down and worship the kindhearted, wonderwoman -- Linda!

I know I will.


Another class four death storm is approaching, although we may just get a mixy rainy thing out of the deal. A bit further inland and northward they should get a fair amount of weather. I've got to go get the laundry out of the basement and get dinner started before this next killer storm hits. I bought dogfood (so the dogs won't eat our carcasses immediately when we're all frozen to death) and bread (so we can have peanut butter and jelly in the post-storm power outage). We'll see if we survive.

Amy told me that she wanted to go with me to the grocery store next time I went so we could sing and dance in the aisles together... I would have brought her, but to be honest my back hurt, and my thumb was throbbin' and I didn't dance or do anything to shame my daughter...

this time..

No comments:

Post a Comment