Friday, December 27, 2002

we got snow!

Finally. Predilections of several inches of snow were actually true this time, and the forecasters shit us not. We were promised 8-12 inches. In reality, there are about 15 inches in my yard. It was quite an adventure. Very beautiful... and it feels very winterish out now, whereas before it was just cold.

A lot of people get really perplexed about the whole white Christmas concept. The classical Victorian images of horses drawn in sleighs and candles in windows, and snow all around as carolers stroll up and down the streets. Where did these archetypal images arise? Why do people long for them? To be honest, I've heard many London residents moan that White Christmases in England were not really white but snow and ice filled streets smeared with soot and garbage, and then it would get rained on, and late December was really never that soft and gentle, romantic Victorianesque vision that people bring to mind. In New England, most of the time, unless you're north of even here, there isn't snow on the ground at Christmas. I can remember plenty of Christmas times in the greater Boston area where it sure was cold enough to sustain Christmas, but all we got was a cold and bitter wind blowing across yards and down streets, enough so that you wouldn't want to be out and you pitied Santa for having to come out in it.

Perhaps in the USA white Christmas was once the standard all the way down to Washington DC and clear over to the Rocky Mountains at one time. But global warming has screwed that up for everyone except those north of Chicago, living in Buffalo, Vermonters and Northern New Hampshirites... Stupid cars and progress crimping environment-driven images of holiday utopia!

Seriously, I doubt that.

I think that the song's popularity makes us all think that Christmas should be snow covered. For me, I'd rather it not be. And I'm very glad that the storm held off until the late afternoon, that I was able to finish all the shopping, that my in-laws were able to get here without getting stranded somewhere between Bradford PA and the NY State line, and that we were able to all enjoy some fun snow-ness while they were here. Snow a couple days after Christmas is fine and good. And we have enough to last us a few weeks it seems.

I did take pictures of trees, kids, other things, but for the most part I focused on the dogs.

I wanted a good picture of the two of them together and I got it.

Jack didn't quite know what to do while up in the truck. He was sorta freaked out and Doug had to lift him out. Kinger takes the snow casually, playing nicely in it.

And Doug looks like a man who would really rather not live in New England on days when it snows 15 inches. I love that picture.

We survived the visit with my in laws, the storm, and the holidays. I love having my in-laws and my parents visit, but for some reason, and I think this is probably true of most adult children, I am relieved when they are gone.

I personally think three full days here or there is my maximum tolerance level for visiting with my mother in law, and that the same goes when my husband is visiting with my parents...(don't be insulted, ma. You probably feel the same too!) Unless I get like a full day break to do something other than hang out around the house.

In the summer it's different, when we can go to the zoo or go places and see stuff. This visit was hard because we were primarily HERE, except for a Christmas eve drive over to the CVS to pick up a prescription and visit the Building 19 nextdoor. I feel like I've been cooped up here for weeks, when really it was 3 days.

My mother in law stresses me out. Our personality types and interests are very different. Don't get me wrong, I love the socks off that woman and she's very good to me, my husband and our kids... I find her interesting, she's funny and talkative and has a lot of stories to tell, but she just kinda wears me out. My father in law -- he's a sainted man and I love him. I told Doug today that in his old age my father in law can do a world of evil, become a crotchety old kook, and he'll still go straight to heaven for his time spent with mom.

His presence here really balances her out and that's a great thing. And the two of them are always welcome.

For three days. Grin...

I got time to myself at one point, which not only was important for my mental well being but because I had a ton to do and HAD to get rid of everyone. Doug wanted to take everyone out for a ride, but Jessica slept in and had just gotten up. She was excessively grouchy, and was about to make life a living hell for everyone if she had to go with us. So I told Doug to take off without her and I'd stay with. My mother in law said "Oh, are you trying to get rid of us?" And I laughed, I told her no, but I had things to do instead of drive around and look at stuff right at that moment. She made some jokes but I'm afraid she saw that I truly did need a break from all the family in these tight quarters.

They went over to the ocean, to Salisbury beach and other locales, and I had Jessica mop the bathroom and kitchen and organize some things that she neglected to take care of before Tuesday's grandparent arrival. I worked on the menu layouts and other word documents cateringman's partner has me doing, and made full and complete progress. That's one project I'm glad to have done. So it really was a productive time, and I didn't lounge on the couch and play GameBoy as I was sorely tempted to do.

And I felt incredibly relaxed and at peace.

We did a lot of cooking and eating. I made scallops and bacon, which were a big hit. We did a ham and scalloped potatoes, and I made corn when I originally planned to do green beans, which garnered about a half hour conversation about how green beans are supposed to go with ham and that it was strange to have corn...

Doug and I did a ton of shoveling because Pete was down at his parents for Christmas and then went straight to work the next day. So he didn't get back until 6pm last night. I love the fact he has that plow. Makes a world of difference to us.

For those who checked yesterday's entry be sure to go back and check again to see the Christmas related pictures that I posted a few hours after I uploaded the entry. If you give a shit.

All told, it was a good Christmas, I'm happy. Life is good. And that's a nice thing.


In other news...

New Years Eve is next week.

I must assure you that there will not be a crazy party like last year, because King Coconuts is not with us.

He's in Antarctica by now taking ice core samples and sleeping in a tent.

Michelle may join us, and my sister may. Anyone else who wants to come up is more than welcome to. The Wayout Inn welcomes all comers.

But I sure as hell am going to miss Aaron. He made last New Years Eve quite fun (as picture here sure does show... by the way, he isn't chugging rum. The lid is on the bottle. He's just mugging for ya) as he makes every visit we have with him just plain super fun... I think of him like the younger brother I never had (not to dis my sister -- she's mad awesome and super. But IF I'da had a brother, I sure think he may have been like Aaron. At least I hope he woulda, instead of being like the vast majority of my male cousins have turned out. But I won't go there).

So I hope Antarctica shows him a good, safe, fun time even without his boobs and a roll of packing tape to hold them in place.

God, that picture totally makes me laugh extra hard.


I got our DVD player on the PC fixed so I did get to watch my one Christmas gift, which my sister sent me. Barelaked Nadies, the DVD collection of BNL videos. With snarky commentary by the boys. It's supposed to have footage of their live concert from NYC when they did the Great Guinness Toast, but I don't know if it's my DVD player or what -- I can't locate the content on the disk. Whafuh? I spent a half hour last night getting incrementally more and more irritated with the damn thing until I finally gave up... If anyone knows the secret -- let me in on it. Dang.

So thank you Linda... great gift. And you'll get yours. Oh yeah. You'll get yours (Christmas and birthday gifts, that is, when I seeya).

Oh -- our Geocache had its first finders outside of Team Screamapillar (and no, none of them are Wil Wheaton...)

So far today I've received two emails of the logged finds from the mailbot. The first finder lives the next town over, and I've seen his name on a lot of other finds we've done. He loved it, and his note said something about how he wished someone would put a gift like that out for him, and it was a great idea. What an ego stroke. The second finder says he will come back with Simpsons items at another time. How cool is this! I feel so nerdy! I'm so glad I did this... I think it feels somehow super exciting in a weird and geeky sorta way to have someone actually find it. I feel that I accomplished something great when all I did was stick a plastic container in the woods with Simpsons pogs in it. Dang. I'm easily impressed with myself.

I have some sleep to catch up on and a shower to obtain, so I may just go do those things now. Have a super day

No comments:

Post a Comment