Thursday, January 28, 2021

Covid Brain

 "Why is there a bowl in the trash?" Geoff asked me.

"What are you talking about?" I stepped on the flipper to open the trash barrel. And there was one of my better, nice metal bowls sitting in the garbage. 

"Huh." I said, and took the bowl out of the trash and put it in the dishwasher. 

Then another day, here's me taking taking the milk to the bathroom. 

Why did I just put that thing in the fridge that does not belong in the fridge? What am I doing? 

Do I have dementia? Geoff asked me if I should see the doctor and get an MRI and figure out if I'm quickly moving into the big forgetfulness. 

No honey. I do not think I have dementia. Maybe crazy but .... not at dementia yet. 

I asked my doctor in our Telehealth appointment on Wednesday if this should be a concern. She asked if I'm just feeling spaced out, like, forgetful, sort of foggy and floaty, in addition to the random acts of weirdness. I told her for sure, absolutely.  

"You have Covid Brain," she said. "This will pass, but keep me updated if you feel it is getting worse or you are not managing." 

My friend Scott had a 20 year old cat. Her name was Daisy. In 1991, we spent Thanksgiving with him and his family in Atlanta. Daisy would walk into the room, and stop mid-step. She'd look around and still have that one foot up in the air. You could tell she was thinking "what the hell did I come in here for?" And then she'd turn around.  

Scott referred to it as a Daisy Moment. And his mom would say "oh! I'm having a Daisy Moment! Where is the potato peeler?" 

So I feel like I am in perpetual Daisy Moment. I'm staying on top of things at work, in fact I am doing quite well I think. Meetings, not falling asleep during the day, able to really stay on task. I'm getting things done for the house move. Got 3 movers to call, we did our application and our lease, and it's all accepted and ready to go. We get the keys on February 13th. I'm looking around rooms and saying alright - here we go. This is gonna get packed up this weekend yeah. 

But I feel weird. I feel very balloon-like. I'm daydreamy. I feel like when I'm driving I may go the wrong way down a one-way street or run a stop sign. So I get kind of paranoid and feel my heart race. It isn't a comfortable feeling obviously. Doug does most of the driving when we go out, but I want to ask him if he is experiencing these sensations as well. 

Like the sense of smell and taste returning, I'm hoping my sharper mind comes back and replaces the cotton candy that is between my ears right now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment