Saturday, May 16, 2020

All the good music out there

Last week we had two nights of freeze. Today it is in the 80s. And humid.

Thanks, Maryland. Way to skip spring all together.

We had our heat on Thursday night and the AC on Friday.

I kind of wanted to sit out and actually enjoy the porch, but it's been too freezing to like actually sit and enjoy. And now it is brutally hot.

We were up early this morning because our smoke detector decided to let us know the battery was low. Can't just tell you once an hour, has to be every 30 seconds. I thought for sure we'd get ourselves pulled together to do something, go somewhere, but Doug is on the couch reading a book and dozing. I am going to go take a nap, I guess.

Speaking of sleep, Brodie woke me up at 2 to go outside, as is her wont. I was not able to fall back asleep, per usual, for a long time. Once I did, right before the beeping alert from the danger detector, I had a crazy dream.

I was working in an office building that was partially under construction, and several desks and cubes had been dismantled throughout the area. My friend Mark was there working and let me know someone was bringing a delivery of donuts to the office for everyone. He said that these were the greatest donuts ever and that even though I am not eating carbs, I really should have one. Way to lead a sister to temptation, dear brother.

Justin Timberlake worked in the office too, which was weird, and he was very excited about the donut delivery, and was clearing off counter tops that were strewn with blueprints, saw dust, and detritus from the construction.

Bruce Springsteen was there too, maybe he was the person who delivered the donuts. He asked me about my favorite music, and I knew he was Springsteen but I think he thought no one could tell.

So I told him all about Guster and how just downright amazing they are, and how much I love them. Gushed like a fangirl. He asked if I primarily preferred bands with male vocalists, as opposed to female. I thought about it and replied  "well, yeah I guess I do. I mean, I grew up on Allman Brothers, CSNY in all configurations, Yes, Genesis, Rush, Jackson Browne was my hero for many years where I spent myself locked in my bedroom listening to music. I love unique voices. I love Neil Young, Geddy Lee, Ryan Miller for sure, Peter Gabriel, Jon Anderson, Bob Dylan, Colin Meloy from the Decemberists. I love Ben Folds, more for his piano playing than his vocal styling though. Recently I've been digging Jason Isbell, and am crazy about Frank Turner. There are so many more. I don't really get into female vocalists. I respect them, but my preference is for sure towards the guys.

"Oh and I like some guy named Bruce Springsteen. He's pretty great too. Love his early work, and the whole E Street band and Clarence and all that. Great energy. My favorite phase of his illustrious career."

Springsteen seemed slightly amused, we enjoyed donuts with a wry smile.

Justin Timberlake was energetically directing people to come over to get donuts and letting them know the pool on the rooftop deck was open (obviously not my office in real life but that would be so sweet).

"What do you think of that guy?" Springsteen asked, gesturing to Timberlake.

I thought about it for a minute and then realized wow. I don't know any Justin Timberlake songs. At all. I know about some of them, like people talk about Bringing Sexy Back, but honestly have no idea how it goes. I shrugged my shoulders and said "he is a really nice guy. He's great here in the office. I love working with him. He's a lot of fun. Glad he's here."

And then I woke up.

So I have no idea what the point of this dream is, what my brain is working through. I liked the line of questioning about bands I like that Dreamsteen posed to me. Made me think about all the good music I love so very much.

Speaking of great music, Guster released their Omaha Symphony recording. Here's a video of Come Downstairs and Say Hello.

the Orchestra just blows this one out of the water.

I would have been in Massachusetts last weekend to see them with the Boston Pops, in a different world, under different circumstances. I'd planned to stay through the whole weekend, see my parents, see Carrie, see Jess, see the local sights and things. So listening to the music styled very much in a way that I would have been enjoying it is important in helping soothe my soul. Anyone looking to grab the recording, it's available for digital download. And I highly recommend it.

Maybe Springsteen will listen.

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite JT music is when he's goofing with Jimmy Fallon.

    ReplyDelete