Thursday, May 07, 2020

All I wanted to do was wash my sheets

I took a vacation day today. I have a lot of hours to use, and want to get a bunch of them off the books so over the next month I've got a vacation day here or there. I had plans.

Sleeping in is a plan. I slept happily until 10am. My body loves 10am. Just naturally, that's the time I like getting up best when left to my own devices. I could have gotten up earlier. Brodie had to go out at 5, so we went and for some people it would be up for the day, but I snuggled into the guest bed, listened to the birds, played with my phone, heard Doug get up and I fell back asleep.

Brodie couldn't get up off the hardwood floor, she won't sleep on the blanket I gave her but sleeps beside it. Dope. Flopping around, nails scraping the floor, I knew she needed a hand. We were both up then.

I started playing with my phone, I have a game I play that kept giving me renewed life energy so I just kept going. I got an emergency page for work as I'm on call. I tried to pass it off on 3 of my coworkers but none of them were free so I helped the lady. It was not an emergency, and she should have just submitted a helpdesk ticket, but whatever.

Geoff left for work and I realized it was 2pm. Yikes. Gotta get something done today!

Taking the sheets off my bed, I realized the top sheet of our other set had ripped, so I didn't have a replacement set to put right onto the bed. That's okay. I will just put these back on fresh from the dryer.

It was feeling like a great day.

Started the laundry, came upstairs and loaded the dishwasher, and played some more on my phone.

That's where things went wrong. The washer started draining, and I looked into the utility room to see the floor drain bubbling up. This happens a lot - but usually just the utility room gets wet. The drain catches up. We've had a plumber out here twice, and they can't find anything wrong. But there is something wrong, guy.

I only had the sheets in the wash, didn't bring the huge basket of laundry down, figured that could wait. The washer was set to "precise fill" so it was a small load and I didn't think it would be a big deal. But the water kept coming, leaking under the wall to the finished section of the basement. Geoff's cables for his video games were submerged, the power cords plugged into the power strip - everything. Lower drawers of his bureau. I called Doug to come down to help and he started plunging the drain. I recorded it for my property manager.

All I wanted was clean sheets, and here I am mopping the floor and not making any headway against the water.  My next door neighbors have a shop vac, so I got that from them and tackled the flood.  I guess the fun fact is I've never used one, so chalk that up to a life achievement? Maybe?

My property manager is looking to get a plumber out here immediately, and wants to get the water/sewer company out to see if we have a collapsed pipe or roots, or something. This shouldn't happen like this. A little bit, maybe. I can live with a little bit. But this was catastrophic almost.

I'm glad I went down and caught it, and it could be worse, but this is not what I wanted to do on a vacation day. I kind of feel like taking tomorrow off since the last 3 hours of my vacation day time were trashed, but ... there's a lot to do at work and I want to keep doing it.

Tomorrow is another day. Not sure how I'm going to drain the washer, need the plumber to come so I can recreate the disaster for them.

1 comment:

  1. Now I want to wash my sheets. Did they find anything, fix anything? Update please.

    ReplyDelete