Thursday, July 02, 2020

By this time next year I won't be here

Right now, I'm waiting for the dog to wake up.

Doug and I went and bought her a harness tonight, which for some reason we thought would be longer and go further down her torso. It just goes around her shoulders.

She is confused by it. I cannot say as I blame her.

We bought it to help us lift her when she wipes out. I think we also need something for her hips/back legs. But this shoulder harness is not bad... she's tolerating it, and we went down the front steps with great ease at about 8pm. We'll give it a go.

I want to go to sleep, personally. I'm kind of wide awake, but also very much wanting to sleep.

She's been out cold for hours. You know what will happen right? I'll fall asleep and she'll wake up and begin her pacing grind. So I may as well just wait.

I am on vacation, so it isn't like I have to get up and work at 8:30am. I can do whatever. I can drink gin and tonic in my underpants on the couch while waiting for her to wake up.

Nothing's gonna stop me.

Last night I decided to put her in the living room and sleep out here with her.

If you can call it sleep.

I waited for Geoff to make it home. He said the car was acting badly on the way to work, and I was kind of anticipating the possibility of having to go pick him up. He works 20 minutes up 95 from us, and gets out of work at midnight.

He got home at 12:30 and I was asleep at 12:45.

Brodie woke up at about 2:45am, and did her pacing thing.

I just let her pace and pace. The light was on, she could see where she was. It was very calming and nice.  Every time she walked past me, I'd rub her back, and she'd stop a little for the scritches.

I lost count at the circling around the coffee table at 124.

Not kidding.

Her food and water are in here, so she was stopping to eat and drink in her route. Walk, stop, munch, lick lick lick, walk.

Eventually she laid down, next to me. I rubbed her shoulders and back, and we went back to sleep.

She got legs stuck under the couch so when she woke up at 4:45am, she was unable to stand. And she barked when I tried to help get her out of her predicament. She was frustrated, I was frustrated.

Harness will probably help with that situation when it happens too.

Eventually she got up and we went outside. And then came in and promptly collapsed back to sleep.

I'm kind of impressed that my phone was able to take this picture in what I thought was too dark of a room, but there she is. The light hadn't started to filter in here yet, so I'm happy to have caught this of her.

Last night I had a lot of waking time during the wee hours. I played games on my phone while she paced. When she came in and passed out, I also passed out.

Doug got up at 8, puttered about, made coffee and kept quiet for me as I was very asleep but I got up, crawled into the bed and slept until noon.

All told, I got plenty of sleep last night, just not all at once!

Oh - and there's this.

One year ago yesterday, my boss' son turned 12 and he asked for a play date with "Miss Brodie."

This came up in my Facebook Memories, and I had to smile. I can't believe this is the same dog that I'm dealing with now.

The stick, the running, the excitement, the everything. I'm so missing this.

I'm also loving that Josh wanted to have her come over, and it was his actual birthday wish for me to brring her over.

They had such a wonderful time with her. These are the fantastic memories that I'll never lose of her. I'm glad that the boys who can't have a dog had times like this with her here in Maryland. I'm so in love with our relationships, and how she was so cared for by this family when Doug's dad passed away. It is so great to have a dog in the middle of everything in life. I love JW and the boys, and the love they have had for this pup.

Not the same dog but yes the same dog. And we love and care for her fully.

I think of the Guster lyric of "By this time next year, I won't be here." This time last year, it was a different dog. And this time next year, we probably won't be having her with us. I so very doubt she will make it through the summer. I'm amazed she's made it through June.

By this time next year....

We actually won't be here either, as our lease will be over July 2021. We will either be moved or packing to move at this point.

Will there be another dog in our lives? We've had a dog or two (and even three!) at the same time since 1994, so I can't honestly imagine not having a dog at all but sometimes I feel like a dog break may be in order.

Part of me was thinking it might be a good idea to just get a new dog now while we are on quarantine and telecommuting entirely, but Doug said to not think about that right now.

We'll see where we are next year.

Tonight, we just need to go out and pee at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment