Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Just to check out the late night donut shop

The title of this entry is a nod to Barenaked Ladies. 

"Drove downtown in the rain, 9:30 on a Tuesday night
Just to check out the late night record donut shop..."

Miss Toffee woke me up at about 3am. She had gotten off the bed, which happens sometimes when she's asleep and I roll over and I shove her off because I'm trying to roll over and she won't get out of my way. 

 She was walking around our bedroom, pacing, whining. Then she came and stood next to my face and whimpered very softly but just loudly enough to wake up yours truly. 

I encouraged her to come back to bed, but she continued to pace. She was having none of it.

Well. I did go to bed very early last night, and maybe Doug assumed I had let her out before, but didn't. 

I got up and she ran around like crazy. We went down the stairs and she ran right to the back door. No barking, no noise, just a very clear non-verbal cue to say "OMG woman, let me out." 

I am super proud of her. Miss Toffee is a very very good bean. 

Today at work we had a lot of undue and unexpected stress. 

A client is having problems with their website DNS. For those who do not know, DNS is Domain Name Server/Service. And everyone has a DNS registrar (usually, for most, GoDaddy or Network Solutions). Then you have a DNS host. That can be GoDaddy or Network Solutions, or, it can be another company. 

If there is a problem with the DNS host and the "zone" records that go into that host (C Name, A record, MX record for e-mail, etc)  we end up having to help them fix it. And sometimes, it just does not go well and it is lumpy. And I call in our own Sysadmin (my superhero Vick) to help. And when HE can't fix it you know it is hairy.

I had scheduled myself some blood work that I should have done last week, and today was supposed to be easy peasy. But no. Things were lumpy but lord, I needed to keep this appointment. Our car was scheduled to go into the shop tonight due to a check engine light. Geoff wasn't back by 3, when I wanted to leave with the other car so I was stressing out. And trying to help fix this DNS kerfuffle. 

Geoff got home a half hour after I'd hoped he would, so I was able to go get the blood work done, but, that meant getting stuck in commuting traffic on the way back. 

In my heart of hearts, friends, my plan was to go get the blood work done and maybe do a little solo walk around town, or in the woods, or whatever. But everything else getting .... lumpy, did not help my case and I rushed back.

After I got home, Geoff was resting (and he usually makes supper) so I made chicken parm for dinner. After we ate, Doug took Geoff to drop the car off (2 cars over, one car back) but the plan was to stop at the late night donut shop that is only open to the public from 7pm-midnight. 

Yeah. I think I've mentioned this donut thing before.

The fact that this little shop of night time delightful treats is so close to our house, and we are not over there EVERY day, is a testament to our self control (and the fact I cannot see at night to drive most of the time). 

Geoff had never been there in the whole year we've lived here (surprisingly!) so Doug wanted to initiate him. They came back with a half dozen delightful treats. I was out with Toffee on a (longer than usual) walk, so what a joy to see the box when I got home. 

After all the lumpy things, this was such a joy to have.

The donut of the month is a s'mores donut, and oh my gosh she is so good. They got a nice assortment of jelly filled and a solid chocolate cake donut, and a couple apple pie ones but I wish they got all s'mores. 

Actually, I'm relieved they didn't because I would eat 3 of them by myself. 

What a treat. 

Digits below. Come visit us, eat donuts.

digits

exercise: 12/12 hours. Toffee walk, 37 min/1.7 mi; 10k+ steps by bedtime

blood glucose: 

9am: 134
xpm: n/a missed the reading time
10:15pm: 66 (? tested 4 times) 

food & meds:

9am: jardiance & new meds
12:30pm: tuna melt, 2 slices of cheddar, 2 slices of bacon, sourdough bread
12:45pm: met+glip 
3pm: new meds
6:30pm: 1/2 piece of chicken parm
7pm: met+glip
9pm: 2 donuts
red wine

No comments:

Post a Comment