A couple weeks ago, my right knee was hurting a lot so I stopped running, just did walkies, and things got better. Imagine that, dear hearts - when you run the impact on your joints is immense, and when you weigh 190 lbs, that is a lot of boom boom. BOOM.
I would be limping around in the mornings, and by afternoon it would have worked itself out pain-wise, and I'd run after work, and ouch. Heating pad, ice pack, biofreeze.
My doctor and I talked about it, she ordered an X-ray and then said that things look okay but if I wanted to get a Cortisone shot she'd make the referral.
I wanted the Cortisone shot.
I've had several over the years, mostly before vacations where I knew we'd be walking a ton. And since I'm doing a 5k in real life, not just on the treadmill in my air conditioned house, I wanted to make sure that knee pain was not going to be my reason for flaking out or not doing it or anything.
The interesting thing is, for the past week or so, it has not hurt at all. But I didn't want to cancel this appointment. We talked about how I've been running and I'm doing a 5k, he seemed a little surprised and I didn't want to shame the fuck out of him for saying "um, yeah, fat people can run a 5k, dude," right before he jammed a needle into my knee.
I told him how much I used to weigh, how over the years I've managed to lose weight gradually. He asked if I was on wegovy or anything, but I told him our insurance does not cover wegovy or any compound medications. He seemed surprised. I told him I was kind of relieved I'm doing things the way I'm doing things. If I make it to 180, I'll refocus my goal to 175. If that is 2027, so be it.
But in the meantime, yeah bro. Yeah I'm runnin' a bunch and running a 5k so shoot some cortisone in my knee and make her feel better.
He seemed really cool, and at the end he told me, "you know, you're the nicest patient I've had all week. Maybe ever. But no, there is this one lady, I did her knee replacement and she came back in to meet about her second knee and she hugged me and cried and told me that I saved her life, I've changed her life. She wants to do something for me..."
"Cookies? Can you accept cookies? because heck, I'd take a dozen wonderfully made with love cookies." He laughed and said "that's a great suggestion."
I told him about how I do technical support and one of my clients that I'd never spoken with before accused me of being a bot because I'm too nice, and I maintain composure and approach situations that he is struggling with, and I told him that he deserves kindness. I'm not a bot, and to be honest, ALAN! the guy's name is Alan, To be honest I've been doing this job for 13 years and nothing that I deal with is brain surgery or nuclear war. No one is dying, no one needs an ambulance, and we can get through it all. And don't you call me a bot ever again.
Traffic sucked going down there, and sucked coming back up. Doug's mom gave him a check when he visited recently, so he wanted me to deposit it. That got me off the highway where the highway was most horrible by 5pm.
And then where I get back on the highway it is far more reasonable and not congested.
Alright. Bedtime. It has been a long day and I have some catch up work to do tomorrow to ticket some things to the developers and work on my vacation coverage plan.
knee feels pretty good. Didn't get a run but took an almost hour walk, and that was great.
digits
exercise: 11/12 hours, missed 3pm due to being stuck in traffic; walk while talking to linda, 53 minutes/2.25 miles; 11k+ steps by bedtime
blood glucose:
8am: 120
n/a pm: n/a
10pm: 222 (why? lol)
food & meds:
8am: jardiance, new meds
1pm: met+glip; tuna salad on small sub roll (about 4 inches)
5pm: new meds
6pm: one hamburger, a couple french fries
7:30pm: met+glip
red wine & diet ginger
No comments:
Post a Comment