Saturday, July 08, 2023

A Friday and Saturday Two-Fer

 I didn't get an entry out yesterday, I started one, but didn't post it last night. I got home late and was very interested in bed after a shower because I was ... sweaty and beat.

Yesterday afternoon, I got my 2nd shingles vaccination and a tetanus DTP combo, since I haven't had a tetanus shot in maybe 20 years? Maybe 15. You should do it every 10. I should go look at my medical records. Anyway, the appointment was at 4pm, I got there at 4:20 because I was on a call with a client, and the three people were asking a thousand questions. I repeatedly reminded the people on the call that I had to leave on time. But "one more question! One more question!" was their mantra, and I answered all of their questions.  

At the end the one woman said "we're so sorry we made you late but this was the best call and I'm so thankful for it!" We could have scheduled another call next week but, you're welcome.

How can I be mad. She was so thankful.

I rushed to the doctor's office and checked in on the app, they took me right in when I got to the floor, I had to sit still for 15 minutes (some new policy?) before leaving, and watched as everyone in the office left. I wanted to get blood work done but went downstairs and found that the line was very, very long, and they were closing in 15 minutes anyway, so I'll go back and do it next week sometime. Like I could have done more of a call with the people I was meeting with next week sometime.

From there, I headed into DC to have dinner with friends. 

Now, I'm an extremely social person and I love going out to see friends when they come to tow. I love my little family but I do love seeing other humans. Doug is not as social, and although he was going to come with me I knew he didn't want to. It was a three day work week for both of us, but it was a long week. He  had a late meeting and asked if he could skip rather than make us late. The friends are actually more friends of my sister and brother in law, but I'm also friendly with them. So friend adjacent. But enough so that it isn't a weird thing to get together. 

In fact, Doug came up in conversation and the Dad said to me "I didn't realize you were even married, I've known you for what, 10 years, I've never met your husband or heard you mention him." It's kind of funny like that. Anyway.

Using code letters, Mom is L, Dad is O, and the 2 girls are also L and L so big L and little L.

They are in town this weekend sightseeing. Mom L and I chatted over the past couple weeks about advice on where to get a hotel (Navy Yard? Capitol Hill? By the Zoo?) and for info on the museums. They ended up picking Navy Yard, good choice. 

Their oldest child, Big L,  is really into history and recently learned a lot about Lincoln, the Civil War, and the assassination. How long does it take to walk the entire Mall? Should they skip the Capitol and just go to Lincoln Memorial and WWII memorial, and ... and ... and ... and ...

She's super smart, and we had a really good discussion. Lots of topics. Why is DC a thing? What state does it belong to? I told her about DC statehood, "Taxation without Representation," how living in New England I learned so much about the Revolutionary War but now in DC there's a ton of Civil War stuff, the War of 1812, how Maryland had a confused identity during all that period, is it with the Confederacy, or the Union? The Baltimore Riot, I think we could have talked for hours. And I'm no expert on anything. And she didn't feign interest, fake it, or get bored. She for sure wants to know things. 

She told me I was very smart (awwww), and asked if I went to Harvard. Kind of made me laugh and cry a little about how kids see grown up humans. 

After dinner, we took a nice walk around the Navy Yard and over to the Anacostia River. There was a bluegrass band playing, and lots of people were there enjoying the summer night. Kids were dancing and someone was blowing bubbles. We went by the splash pool where a bunch of children were having a great time, running, playing, screaming, keeping cool, and parents lounged on blankets and watched, ate picnics, drank from what I can only presume were grown up sippy cups. 

I have no idea how Little L didn't just lose her mind and jump in. She wanted for them to go back to the hotel, get their swimsuits, and get right back here and get in. That kind of unbridled energy. It was delightful. After a while the kids wanted ice cream and Mom found a spot that was on the way to their hotel, across from the baseball field. 

We noted that the area was not as crowded as we all thought it would be, seeing as there was a game on. The bars were hopping, like the deck at The Bullpen, but even inside the park it was very quiet. Once in a while you'd hear cheering as if something happened. There is a giant display of what the count is for balls/strikes/etc and the score. It was fun to watch that change. And they had a GIANT screen, so you could actually watch the game from sitting out where we were. 

Mom L wondered if you could buy same day 5 dollar tickets just to get inside. "I just want to go in, walk around, come back out, I don't need to see the game. How much you wanna charge me for that? Five bucks would be worth it, I think. More than that, meh." 

We were walking down the street and I realized we were by the metro entrance, I thought maybe right then was an okay time to head on home. We hugged, kissed, hugged some more. I made it home in no time, the metro seemed synched up to just what I needed, and I wonder why I don't go down to Navy Yard more often seeing as it is so incredibly easy to get to. 

I let Doug know he missed a damn good time. I took the aforementioned shower because I was absolutely soggy and wilty, it was a welcome refresh.

They had a full agenda for the day today: Air and space museum, and the mall, maybe jump on jump off bus, and maybe the zoo, if they're not too beat up by this heat and all the things. 

Mom texted me at about 7pm with pictures of dinner (we all really like food) and said they had an amazing day, they were super beat but heading over to the Lincoln Memorial to catch the last light, and then back to the hotel.

They'll hit the road tomorrow to go home, but I sent them the link to the Walter Reed medical museum, which is literally around the corner from us, where they have the bullet that iced President Lincoln. If they can make that little detour, I'm sure Big L will be amazed. 

I wanted to post pictures of our fun from yesterday but Mom L asked me not to. She doesn't put personal things on the internet. I fully respect that. So instead, here's a picture of a metro station, which Mom L and I both called "the belly of the whale." All of the underground Metro stations look like this. Welcome, Jonah.



Digits

Friday:

exercise: 12/12 hours of 250 steps.  Dedicated 10 plus. Wow a lot.

blood glucose:

8am: 178
no afternoon reading
11pm: 195 (after medication at 9:30pm)

food:

coffee, water
11:30am: 2 egg omelet, 2 left over big sausages, onion, shredded cheddar
metformin
7pm: a mess of food at Due South: deviled egg, pulled pork, salad w/shrimp, other stuff I can't remember. Forkful of mac&cheese, piece of fried chicken, a little bit of jalapeno grits, Damn. 
no alcohol, a lot of water, probably a lot of hidden carbs even though I tried to avoid at all cost. My blood sugar was 265 when I got home
9:30pm: metformin+jardiance (should have taken with dinner but forgot to bring with) 


Saturday

exercise: 11/12 hours of 250 steps.  Slept through 9am, woke up just after 10 and said "doh". Still got an okay dedicated 10 in at about 8:30pm because it was cooled off enough. Aaah.

blood glucose:

10am: 162
5pm: 216 (triscuits too close to blood check)
10:30pm: 161

food:

coffee, water
11am: 3 strips of bacon
11:45: metformin
noon: 2 homemade blueberry muffins by Doug
1:45: another blueberry muffin. help me.
4pm: hummus+triscuits (i needed to eat, didn't feel like anything we had was what I wanted...)
6pm: metformin+jardiance
6:30: 2 chicken thighs, marinade by Doug, in low carb wraps with sour cream and shredded cheese
white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment