Saturday, July 15, 2023

Irish Goodbye

My mom just called, I thought i was dreaming. phones don't ring at 5:30am. I was in the guest room with the dog, and left the phone in my bedroom. I heard it ringing, got out of bed and missed the call. Called her back, got the busy signal so she was on the phone with Linda. 

Linda then called me, and let me know. I then played tag with my mom on voicemail for a few minutes. First thing she said was "I'm so sorry."

Ole Bart passed on early this morning. I asked her what the circumstances were, if she knew, if they told her. She said his heart was very weak and just kind of stopped. 

I like to think he didn't struggle or suffer that it just ... stopped. 

Well there you go. Sometimes it is just like that. No struggle, just sleep. It is like the Irish Goodbye, when you slip out of a party without letting anyone see you or acknowledge you're going because your friends will want you to stay, have another 

Regular programming here on the blog is probably going to take a pause, not sure if I'll have daily updates. I'll do my best to keep my good eatin' on track but. You know. Maybe a slice of cake. 

Talking to my mom she said "oh I'm going to have to figure out a lot of things." Yes, yes you will. We will do our best to help you. In the meantime. You know how this goes. 

  • I've booked a flight to Providence RI. 
  • Lin is driving up from NY, and we hope to dovetail my arrival with her being able to get me. 
  • We will probably stay at the house, not the hotel, and we'll
  • She is reaching out to the cousins. Timezones and distance, and we're being merciful to my cousin Jimmy who is on vacation in South Dakota, we'll get the word out.
  • My husband is researching someone to be with the dog. 
  • Linda and I will probably stay at my mom's so she isn't alone.
  • I booked Doug and Geoff into a hotel for tomorrow-Thursday. I think we also could stay at my cousin's in Plymouth, but the hotel is 3 minutes away, and it is good to have something close and easily accessible for people who need a break. Also, pool.
  • I called Jess and woke them up. They are on the way way to grandma's (funny to not say grandma and grampa) after a 9am appointment so she isn't alone all day. 
  • This is the only place I'm mentioning this, not on Facebook or anything, until we manage to get in touch with the cousins and let people know. 

I'm sure we'll do a gathering down by her this week, so if you are a local person not afraid of driving to the Cape, well. Have we got a meal and a drink for you. 


Anyway. We've had coffee. We've had a couple laughs. We've got work to do. Let's hit the ground running.

No comments:

Post a Comment