Monday, July 24, 2023

Getting back to the routine of things

I have a lot to write about but I'm a little tired and just getting back into the swing of life here. I [stupidly] stayed up until 3am, and got up around 7:45. Desperately need a nap but know it will mess me up for tonight. 

I started work late. Slacked my team to let them know I was in snail mode, but I'd be there. One of my colleagues is new and was very happy I was back. She wrote a whole big piece of documentation and asked me to proof it. I did, and it was rather good but not correct so she and I are going to have a chat probably tomorrow about editing it. I like that she got 90% of it right. Less work for me and she's just slipping right into the position perfectly. 

It rained while we were away, but the porch overhang protected the pots out front. The marigolds are a total loss. The vine may be also but I'll try and get it revived. The purple Dr. Seuss plant is still kind of alive but barely? The impatiens are doing great. 

We have an overhang and I think it wasn't enough rain with some wind to get water into those pots. Everything in the yard got plenty of rain and is doing fine. 

I was a little sad and disappointed to see things all dried up out front when I came up the stairs, and I thought that the entire yard would be a loss but no. Just the front steps. I was so tired last night, I didn't even go look at anything else and just thought it would be the worst. 

This morning early I went to the market for milk, and stopped to survey the yard. Veggies are good, sunflowers are growing but need to be weeded. And all the other plants in the back yard, the herbs and flowers, are doing just fine. Whew. 

Farmer Chris has work to do around the yard, though. 


The morning glories have gone bananas, so I have to go out and rethread them and make it so they go down the fence instead of engulf the mailbox. I'm not seeing a lot of blooms on them, which bothers me. The leaves are going strong and the tendrils are reaching out all over, but I only saw two or three open flowers on the vines. Hopefully they start to produce their cute wee purple faces soon. 

We have peppers on the plant in the pot on the back steps, the herbs are rocking. The small pots on the edge of the patio are thriving, including the Dr. Seuss purple dealie just like the one on the front porch that is dying. And the patio planter is just excellent. I need to deadhead those petunias but they're fine. I watered the pots on the porch to see if they'd liven up, except knowing that marigold is done for good... And surveyed the other things, watering lightly because they all seemed to be super good. 

We had our neighbor pick up our mail, and we got him some beer from Cape Cod. I hope he likes beer. If he doesn't, well, lesson learned and I'll get him something different next time. And then we have beer. ha. 

It's nice to be home and get back on my bullshit. 

It's supposed to be 100 degrees here in DC on Thursday and I am massively displeased. So I may try to squeeze in plant stuff tomorrow. Maybe in the morning. Maybe. More pictures. Digits below. 

Doug has to get out the weed whacker and take care of everything around the pots. 

babies going strong

digits

exercise: 9/12 hours of 250 steps. missed a few hours by a couple steps because i was focused on work.

blood glucose:

8:30am: 188
4:45pm: 166
10:30pm: 186

food:

coffee, water
11am: turkey and colby on 647 bread w/mayo. Metformin
2pm: apple w/peanut butter
6:30pm: 1 cheeseburger, no bun, spinach, tomato, feta, zesty italian dressing
7:30pm: metformin+jardiance; 5 oreo cookies
white wine
9pm: bowl of mixed nuts
10:30pm: Protein shake 

No comments:

Post a Comment